Fertilizer ?

bigtex

Wheat sprouts easily. I've sown it without any fertilizer at all and it did ok untill Spring.. Of course it would do better with fertilizer.
Once established Clover needs 0 nitrogen.
Didn't answer your question did I? Without a soil test it is impossible to answer correctly it's not just the type of fertilizer but it is the amount that a soil test will tell you.
You also didn't state how large of a food plot you have so I can't take a guess as to how much you need. I suppose you could throw whatever you have on hand 13-13-13 would be a pretty good choice to get it going.
One source that I found recomended at least 150 pounds 0f 12-12-12 0r 13-13-13 per one forth acre plot if no soil test was taken.

Boone 58

wompuscat said:
Without a soil test what fertilize does wheat need? Also how bout a clover plot?

Without a soil test you are guessing, but wheat performs better than most seeds on anything so i would do it and throw some 13-13-13 or at least 10-10-10. White clover will help with supplying nitrogen to the wheat because it stores it in its nodules and they compliment each other quiet nicely.

phildidit

You would be better with a foliar application12-48-8 soluble blend with micro nutrients on wheat to increase root development, cell division, along with increase yields.

On the clover a liquid 8-8-8 with bio stimulants and vitamin package is awesome , by building sugars through translocation of starches it makes plants from browse to clover even beans and corn. Remember when applying foliar fertilizer it is absord through the leaves along with the roots system ,making it up to 30 percent more effiencfent than traditional granular.

You could always spray some liquid calcium to change the ph with in the plant immediatly itself rather than changing the ph in the soil. Even after absord by the plant EDTA calcium continues to form amino acid that break down in the soil and buffer the ph. Nothing can replace lime In the long run ,but a quick fix may EDTA calcium

tellico4x4

IMO, fertlizer w/o previous lime is a waste of $$$. Good news is that you have still have time to spread pellatized lime for a short term (1 season) quick fix. Get the lime out, then spread whatever fert you can get a deal on, wheat will do fine.

DaveB

Tellico,
Sorry, pelletized lime has shorter effectiveness that powdered? I was not aware of that, I thought the pelletized was a concession to the suburban lawn spreaders, not the effectiveness.