Fall Snapper Season

BamaProud

I think this is only the 2nd time the Feds have opened a Fall Snapper season. It opens October 15th through November 5th for charters only. If anyone is interested in going out of Dauphin Island, Alabama let me know. A 6hr trip with 6 people is around $235 per person (not including tip)

Pilchard

The feds establish sub quotas for commercial, for hire and recreational. When this happens it's usually due to how quotas were achieved in the previous federal season. I've also heard the argument that it provides the greatest access to the largest number of people while stimulating the tourism economies of the gulf coast.

TheLBLman

I may just not fully understand, but this sounds like it could be a bit "unfair" to some local fishermen who are not "commercial"?
As in they could only go fish for snapper if they hire a charter a boat & snapper guide?

TheLBLman

Thanks, Pilchard.

That does a good job explaining it.
But if I lived down there, I would still feel a bit short-changed by the fed's formula.

How The Season Was Determined:
  • The red snapper total recreational quota is 7,399,000 pounds whole weight. The private angling component is allocated 57.7% and the for-hire component is allocated 42.3%.

To me, this would be somewhat like our TWRA saying that 42.3% of all quota hunt permits would be for non-residents, and if non-residents don't buy all their 42.3% allotment, they will then give them away to non-residents only.
DISCLAIMER: TWRA isn't doing anything like this, at least at present.

Pilchard

There are many issues with the ARS fishery. Admittedly I don't follow closely since leaving FL. The species is thriving and limits are too strict. The commercial fishery gets too much take. The recreational too little, etc.

You also have to realize though that parts of the fishery are unreachable to most recreational anglers. For instance along the SW coast, you have to run 40+ miles to get into ARS. The boat required to do that safely is out of reach for most. When I left, it was 2 fish/angler/day of season. Fuel alone for the day was $500.

Displaced_Vol

We went on an inshore trip with a guy out of fort Morgan last week. He has a boat to run off and fish red snapper also and we would have had the option but the water was pretty rough most of last week. Anyway we talked about it while we fished and it is definitely complicated to me.
Reminded me a lot of duck hunting where the federal government is also heavily involved in setting Regs

megalomaniac

We went on an inshore trip with a guy out of fort Morgan last week. He has a boat to run off and fish red snapper also and we would have had the option but the water was pretty rough most of last week. Anyway we talked about it while we fished and it is definitely complicated to me.
Reminded me a lot of duck hunting where the federal government is also heavily involved in setting Regs
It's the federal gobt representatives being wooed by the commercial fisheries lobbyists. They spend the big bucks in Washington, while your average Joe is just scraping by. The commercial guys get 90% of the harvest, AND a size limit lower than everyone else AND a season that opens earlier than you or I. The private charters spend a little on Washington, so they get a bigger chunk of what's left over. Your average Joe who just wants to go have fun with friends or family gets a few scraps. But hey, you and I are creating jobs for the commercial guys by not being allowed to catch much.... so there is that.

fullstream

They recently reopened ars out of Louisiana and doubled limit from 2 to 4 and open all week instead of just weekends. First couple weeks was recreational only but I believe they opened to charters as well. Agree the ars population is thriving as most bottom fishing trips I've done result in moving spots as it's mainly what's brought up when grouper fishing. My youngest boy pulled up a 41lber but on a Thursday when it was open fri-Sunday last year. Hated to through that one back!

Last edited:

Latest posts