Fabulous opener with my dad

CritterGitter

Morning started off with an encouraging answer of a few gobbles at first light at our usual hoot spot. We eased off onto a ridge top i know turkeys frequent, but not close enough to where we shoulda been early. Turkeys were gobbling good but probably 150 yards away . We sat tight until the gobbles sounded faint so we got up to cut the distance. Sneaking through the woods was interrupted by a shot directly where the gobbles were last heard. Felt my chest get heavy but kept my enthusiasm cause we heard more than one. We got to our field where the birds were , that ajoins the neighbors . Sat tight a while not hearing much. We enjoyed the beautiful morning just sitting and joking about patience and turkey hunting. About that time i was about to get up , a good 45 minutes had went by . I see something shiny in the field , then another, and another. A bunch of hens and way to my left a huge fan . Thats why the birds were quiet, hens ! Dad made some notes on the Trumpet and the bird was eatin it up at about 60 yards! Few more steps and it was all over for him. Happened quick! Noting beats turkeys hunting with my father. Think about it everyday of the year .

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 200

CritterGitter

Treasure those times. My dad is gone now and those memories are even more precious now
Most definitely! Turkey hunting runs deep deeeeep with me and my dad. All started when i heard my name get announced over the intercom in 3rd grade when he got me out of school early and took me on a trip to middle tn. Close to 30 years later turkey season is still like Christmas morning

jason2779

Morning started off with an encouraging answer of a few gobbles at first light at our usual hoot spot. We eased off onto a ridge top i know turkeys frequent, but not close enough to where we shoulda been early. Turkeys were gobbling good but probably 150 yards away . We sat tight until the gobbles sounded faint so we got up to cut the distance. Sneaking through the woods was interrupted by a shot directly where the gobbles were last heard. Felt my chest get heavy but kept my enthusiasm cause we heard more than one. We got to our field where the birds were , that ajoins the neighbors . Sat tight a while not hearing much. We enjoyed the beautiful morning just sitting and joking about patience and turkey hunting. About that time i was about to get up , a good 45 minutes had went by . I see something shiny in the field , then another, and another. A bunch of hens and way to my left a huge fan . Thats why the birds were quiet, hens ! Dad made some notes on the Trumpet and the bird was eatin it up at about 60 yards! Few more steps and it was all over for him. Happened quick! Noting beats turkeys hunting with my father. Think about it everyday of the year .
Love to read stuff like this it's memories you'll always have after my dads stroke it has put a very hard life for him but I still try to get him out in places I can get him to! Thanks for making me think of my memories with my dad!