cant catch a break with my kiddo lol

REN

2 years ago had 4 toms at 12 yards but he couldnt move to shoot them. Totally my fault as explained in another thread. Last year had one at 18 yards but he was 2 yards on the wrong side of the fence and wouldnt cross so just had to sit there and watch him walk away. Same year had a jake and tom at 50 yds and the jake would come in but the tom wouldnt come any closer.

so this year have a perfect set up. Have a group of toms and hens to our left and a single tom to our right so we are right in the middle of them. 9/10 times this works out perfect but today was that 1 time he flew down and instead of coming to us he goes right to the big flock lol. Make a move and reposition, whole flock 50yds out and closing gobbling all the way. Of course 2 hens come in first, and the lead one passes by so I figure the 2nd would pass by on her path. Wouldnt you know the one that passes by gets wary and starts putting so the one 8yds from us decides to turn and go back to the gobblers vs just going past us. Literally just needed the Toms to come 5yds closer so they crested the rise but turkeys being turkeys they were slow and when the hen went back they just followed her :(

all good though it was fun and got the juices flowing. In all fairness we could only hunt till 9 cause he has a swim meet today and most of the season he swims so much he doesnt go very often. However with this is last juvie year, my plan is to let him skip school one day when my best friend is here (his unrelated uncle) and between the 2 of us and all day to do it Im confident we can get this done.

REN

today did give me an opportunity to go over another VITAL rule in my book for new hunters or really anyone that goes with me.

ALWAYS SIT AND SET UP IN A POSITION READY TO SHOOT. You never know whats gonna happen and you never know when or where they may appear. Always sit in a shooting position with options. Dont get in habit if sitting where you have to move the gun to your shoulder or hands around so you can shoot.

so was a good learning lesson either way.

Shag

X1000! My daughter is NOT good at a fast shot! She isn't good at shooting without time to take a good steady rest on her knee with a shotgun at turkeys. Slow to find deer in the scope when deer hunting. Quick target acquisition isn't her strong suit!

I've worked and worked with her in practice scenarios but it just doesn't seem to click.

scn

today did give me an opportunity to go over another VITAL rule in my book for new hunters or really anyone that goes with me.

ALWAYS SIT AND SET UP IN A POSITION READY TO SHOOT. You never know whats gonna happen and you never know when or where they may appear. Always sit in a shooting position with options. Dont get in habit if sitting where you have to move the gun to your shoulder or hands around so you can shoot.

so was a good learning lesson either way.
And, if you are a right handed shooter, ALWAYS "cheat" some to the right of where you think/hope they are going to come from when you sit down. You can swing to the left (if you get a chance when they go behind a tree) a lot easier than going to the right.

REN

And, if you are a right handed shooter, ALWAYS "cheat" some to the right of where you think/hope they are going to come from when you sit down. You can swing to the left (if you get a chance when they go behind a tree) a lot easier than going to the right.

exactly! went over all that. Even went over to sit with a wide stance so you can move your knee left and right to be able to still have a rest and if you HAVE to swing right then that knee is in a position to be able to move some side to side to help your rest.

again like my other post, this is all stuff I dont ever think about cause I have done it for so long but was good to give us time today to sit and go over it all in detail and explain the WHY its important to think about.

mike52

X1000! My daughter is NOT good at a fast shot! She isn't good at shooting without time to take a good steady rest on her knee with a shotgun at turkeys. Slow to find deer in the scope when deer hunting. Quick target acquisition isn't her strong suit!

I've worked and worked with her in practice scenarios but it just doesn't seem to click.
My grandson had a similar problem. Turned out he was right handed but left eye dominant. Was trying to use dominant eye to use scope, so he was all crossed up.

Latest posts