European mounts?

Duck dogn

In the past I have gotten the taxidermy permit to do skull mounts and turkey fans on plaques. What would be a going rate for just european mounts with or without plaques I got out of this hobby because people said I was to expensive. Not looking to take anyone's business just something I like to do in the winter months. Admins please delete this post if I'm crossing lines lol.

Jcalder

I know a guy that charges 50 and I know a guy that charges $100. Both do great work and the only difference I know of is one comes with a stand/plaque and the other doesn't. Fairly certain another I know charges $125. So it's all in what your customers are willing to pay. I think 50-75 is a good start, and if you get too busy raise your price a bit.

AT Hiker

No plaque price explained for a "hobbyist".
For a properly cleaned skull that has been adequately degreased you should expect to pay $100+ at a minimum.
It's taken me a while to fine tune my process using beetles or maceration, then degreasing in a high enough temperature to not deteriorate the bone and to pull out as much grease as possible within a reasonable amount of time. 99% degreasing would take a month or more at a fine tuned temp and constant fluid changes. I shoot for 1-2 week degrease and this produces, IMO, an above adequate skull.
A quick boil, power wash with a overnight whitener produces a sub par skull which most are pleased with. This is actually the process I use on out of state hunts. I can easily tell the difference between these skulls and others I've done after 6-12 months of hanging on the wall. I also wouldn't charge as much for this process either. It takes less time, produces less quality and less overhead.

Ignore the people that say you charge too much. Let them open up a skull cleaning side hustle to under cut you and dee how long they stay open. With that said, southern taxidermy is cut throat. Produce a quality product, charge enough to be worth it and go about your day.
If making money is priority #1 then move West and charge $300 for a cleaned skull.

Duck dogn

The light has this one tinted but I did this for my daughters first deer last year

Attachments

• 20201227_192456.jpg
    20201227_192456.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20201227_192502.jpg
    20201227_192502.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 77

megalomaniac

Most taxidermist charge $150 here for the typical boil and paint with peroxide skull on a plaque. Noone down here uses dermastids that I know of.

There are guys that do them on the side for a little supplemental income.... they charge $100 and get it. $75 if no plaque.

For me, I do my own as a form of closure and respect to the animal whose life I took. No way in heck I would do one for someone else for $150. Way too much time involved in doing one.

AT Hiker

Most taxidermist charge $150 here for the typical boil and paint with peroxide skull on a plaque. Noone down here uses dermastids that I know of.

There are guys that do them on the side for a little supplemental income.... they charge $100 and get it. $75 if no plaque.

For me, I do my own as a form of closure and respect to the animal whose life I took. No way in heck I would do one for someone else for $150. Way too much time involved in doing one.
You could macerate a skull down there in the early season within a few days. It would stink to high heaven but you would have a clean skull that's almost fully degreased.
Once you macerate a few skulls you and your wife, your neighbors and neighbors neighbors would gladly pay someone whatever they wanted to do the next ones for you!

Duck dogn

Thanks guys because back in 2018 I think I done several for 50 just head cleaning and 65 with plaque but everything has gone up of course. So I will consider yals prices just the permit alone is like 200 dollars if I remember correctly.

Latest posts