What are you going to do with mounts?

41Magnum

It absolutely makes me sick. Farms are being sold at an alarming rate. Grandfathers farms are the most sold off. Fathers farm comes in next. People have no pride in anything anymore. They care for mostly themselves. And For the most part they have never done anything to make a living. Only waiting like filthy buzzards for papaw to die or granny or dad.
Yep I've seen that several times with some of my relatives…. Sad…

spur necklace 3

Serious question on donating to TWRA, is there anything that prevents them from turning around and selling in the future? I don't think I could bring myself to ever donate to them but for those that consider it, seems like a real stab in the back if they just turned around ten years later and sold for too dollar.

volboy

It would take agreement among all heirs that have a claim to put a conservation easement on it. They are great conservation tools. The biggest threat to wildlife habitat is parcels constantly getting chopped into smaller and smaller pieces.
But, if the current owner, parents or grandparents, did the conservation deal prior to their deaths, then the heirs hands would be tied, wouldn't they?

Speedwell-Hunter

I could die and leave nothing but a suit to bury me and a bank account. God isn't that impressed with my trophy wall. A spiritual legacy matters the most and that's something we can all afford. Even if our kids cherish our mounts, the next generation certainly won't. A hundred years from now, what really matters?
Dis boy, fairchaser, you just made me give up hunting all together. Preach

fairchaser

Dis boy, fairchaser, you just made me give up hunting all together. Preach
Speedwell-hunter, I still have a trophy wall and I enjoy looking at them and reliving the hunts. I know you're kidding but I'm just trying to add some perspective especially as I get older. The trophies in heaven seem more important than the ones on the wall.

rem270

I've never gave it much thought because it doesn't really matter to me what happens to them when I'm gone. If I go before my dad or brother maybe they'll want them. If I go after them maybe my nephew's will want them. But either really I'm not really worried about it. I have them to look at for myself and relive the hunts. I wouldn't expect anyone to have as much value in them as I do.

41Magnum

Told my kids take the ones you want, if any, and sell the rest to Cracker Barrel. My guns will be divided between the two or the ones they want, sell what's left. As for the house and land I told them to sell it ASAP! It's NOT a shrine and don't make it one.

woodyard

I guess I am an oddball in the deer hunting world. I have never had a deer mounted. Got a very large bobcat mounted many years ago and then gave that to a member on here to give to child for a Christmas present. Saved the antlers on wall mount boards for years and then gave all of them to a guy to make things with. Lost bunch of antlers in the shop fire in 15 and now got several piled up again in the shop.
I always thought if I killed that "big special one". I would get it mounted. I never saw that one while hunting. Since with the cost and then the fact that most are thrown away after someone dies , no point to me to have a bunch of mounts. I always just invested some more money in guns, which I know can be kept by family or sold off easily.
I have photos of most and on a rare occasion look at some of them, More often than wedding photos. Lol
Still have the memories of some hunts but those are getting fewer with aging. I know my son and family have no real desire to have a lot of "things" from my life. We are planning to sell our farm and downsize in the next year or two, My son has no desire to be an out of state landowner and the problems that creates.

They will have the photos and the memories

As Fairchaser says none of this really matters in the end. It is about the relationship you had with God,family and friends.

DeerCamp

Ever since my Dad died this year I've been thinking about all the things(junk) I've accumulated over the years. I told my middle son he'll probably get stuck with a lot of it lol . Hopefully it's a long time before that happens and I kill a ton more deer. Some mounts on the wall, some out in the garage😀 Things that mean a lot to us won't to other people when we're gone.View attachment 163877
I'm not so sure about that last part. My grandpa killed a monster mulie on public land in the 90s. It hung above his dresser for years. When he was alive, he told me the story of that hunt a bunch of times.

I'd love to hang it in my game room and reminisce.

Ski

I'm not so sure about that last part. My grandpa killed a monster mulie on public land in the 90s. It hung above his dresser for years. When he was alive, he told me the story of that hunt a bunch of times.

I'd love to hang it in my game room and reminisce.

That's a unique situation. You have a great reason to want it. That's not normally the case. Most times the mounts are just oversized niknaks survivors have to dispose of.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Lol I'm not that good of a hunter for my boys to worry about a bunch of mounts but I understand what you're saying. I've told the story of a Dr. that I was friends with that lived next to where I work. He traveled all over the world hunting and loved every minute of it. He had a HUGE place built on his house just for his "trophy room". I'd go over and just listen to him and look at all the pictures and MOUNTS EVERYWHERE. I'm talking elephant tusks, lions, tigers, bucks, hippo heads. The coolest we're the Polar Bear and wolves. Well when he died his POS kids left after the funeral and took every gun in the trophy room and I'm talking hundreds of thousands dollars easily. They left the mounts and next thing I know his wife died not long ago and they seriously just bulldozed this $800k house to the ground and it's just grass where this man built his "paradise" now. Makes me sick to my stomach to think none of them cared enough to be involved with his stories.
And this is why I tell my 2 daughters, me and mama are gonna sell it all and blow every dime when we retire so don't count on an inheritance. Hehehe

Ski

me and mama are gonna sell it all and blow every dime when we retire so don't count on an inheritance.

That's exactly what I tell my kids. They can earn it same way their mother & I did. My legacy isn't going to be leaving behind wealth for my entitled children. My legacy is going to be leaving behind children who can contribute something positive to the world.

AT Hiker

That's exactly what I tell my kids. They can earn it same way their mother & I did. My legacy isn't going to be leaving behind wealth for my entitled children. My legacy is going to be leaving behind children who can contribute something positive to the world.
Sounds like Mr and Mrs Ski will be in a state funded nursing home while the Ski kids are out "contributing something positive to the world" 😛

BigAl

Meant to add, I have a cousin that owns a "pewter company" that takes antlers and makes them into candlestick holders. I might see that she gets them. Don't know why, at least they would be used for something.

Latest posts