What are you going to do with mounts?

BSK

Got a few antlers laying around. Who knows what will happen to them.

Attachments

• CabinInt1.jpg
    CabinInt1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 75
  • CabinInt2.jpg
    CabinInt2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 81
  • CabinInt3.jpg
    CabinInt3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 75
  • CabinInt4.jpg
    CabinInt4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 79

Carlos

I'm not 100% sure, but once I reach 60 years old (or maybe 70) I probably will have killed a deer, and if I'm lucky, even have one mounted, maybe by then I'll decide what to do with them at that time.

Ski

Got a few antlers laying around. Who knows what will happen to them.

Now that's what a family hunting cabin is supposed to look like! It would be a shame to see the family sell it off. Looks like a wonderful spot for the family to get together for celebrations, regardless if they hunt or not.

BSK

Is this your cabin? Very nice for sure. I like the consistent base for the euros. Some have a white marker? Would you be willing to share a closeup?
Yup. White marker has hunter's name, date killed, age and score on it.

We've either shoulder mounted or euro mounted every buck ever killed from the property (even from the early days of killing spikes and fork-horns). That's 101. Each hunter's best is as his/her home, but still quite a few at the cabin.

BSK

Now that's what a family hunting cabin is supposed to look like! It would be a shame to see the family sell it off. Looks like a wonderful spot for the family to get together for celebrations, regardless if they hunt or not.
We definitely spend a lot of time there. Even outside of deer season.

Three couples have spent their honeymoon there.

The orginal cabin is the section to the right. We aded on the great room (with the stone chimney) around 2001 (where most of the mounts are in the above pictures). The section to the left is the newest addition, finished just last year. 8 bedroom, 3 bath, sleeps 22.

Attachments

• CabinExt1.jpg
    CabinExt1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 44

Ski

We definitely spend a lot of time there. Even outside of deer season.

Three couples have spent their honeymoon there.

The orginal cabin is the section to the right. We aded on the great room (with the stone chimney) around 2001 (where most of the mounts are in the above pictures). The section to the left is the newest addition, finished just last year. 8 bedroom, 3 bath, sleeps 22.

That's amazing. I love those dovetail cabins. Hopefully your family cherishes it for generations to come.

megalomaniac

Another related question...

Has what you plan to do with your mounts influenced what you actually kill?

For me it has... I have plenty of deer on the wall... so at this point I've been Euro'ing most everything the past 15 years. And at some point, even the euros start piling up...

Don't get me wrong... imma kill the snot out of a good high scoring mature buck. BUT at this point I'd rather one of my kids or friends kill him instead of me. I'm fine with shooting the lowest antler scoring mature deer on my farms. Zero regret about 'wasting a tag' on them. In fact, this year after killing my cull first, I was actually trying to kill another cull with my my buck of choice tag, saving the better deer for others.

fairchaser

Another related question...

Has what you plan to do with your mounts influenced what you actually kill?

For me it has... I have plenty of deer on the wall... so at this point I've been Euro'ing most everything the past 15 years. And at some point, even the euros start piling up...

Don't get me wrong... imma kill the snot out of a good high scoring mature buck. BUT at this point I'd rather one of my kids or friends kill him instead of me. I'm fine with shooting the lowest antler scoring mature deer on my farms. Zero regret about 'wasting a tag' on them. In fact, this year after killing my cull first, I was actually trying to kill another cull with my my buck of choice tag, saving the better deer for others.
It used to before CWD. Now they have opened up the club rules to allow any buck. My personal limit is 3.5 year old 120 which doesn't get mounted but the antlers get displayed in my trophy room. The other bonus is saving the buck from a slow painful death. We have unlimited buck tags too. It's a whole new ball of wax down here in CWD zone.

Antler Daddy

Under our current legal arrangement, the cabin and property will be sold as soon as the last of my siblings pass away.

Obviously, looking for a new legal arrangement.
Knowing all the work invested there...that is a tough pill to swallow. However, it would be a very nice place for a deer hunter with deep pockets.

Latest posts