Electronics Upgrade: Lake Offset question

Crow Terminator

Are Humminbird units the only ones capable of doing a true lake offset on the mapping? I'm not referring to a keel depth setting but rather the actual lake map adjustment. I've been looking around on forums about this and can't find an up to date answer for it...I've found people saying YES but that was from posts in 2018. Nothing is mentioned of the Garmin units so I don't know if they can do it or not.

I think Lowrance offers map shading but that's not what I'm talking about...for example, the CMAP, Navionics, and Lakemaster cards all default to show the lake water levels during summer pool. As we know on TVA lakes, that changes especially in winter, but the maps still show the summer pool data...which can be 6-8 foot difference or more, depending on what lake you're on.

On the Humminbird units, you can put in an offset which will then change the maps to reflect that change. On a side note and I just checked it...this appears to only work with Lakemaster cards, as I have the latest Navionics card and it doesn't change the map on it. On the Navionics app, it DOES change it but not on the unit.

I'm in the process of looking at a new console unit for my boat. It came with a Hook Reveal 5 and instead of going through the hassle of taking that transducer off the transom, mounting a new bracket, running cables, and all that, I thought I would just get a bigger Hook unit and put back there. I had no idea just how much I wouldn't like the Hook lol. I've been spoiled by the Humminbird Helix on my kayak and jon boat. I'm considering other units but that lake off set is a must for me. I have all 3 map cards; C-Map, Navionics, and Lakemaster V5. Thinking of putting a Helix 10 or 12 at the console; I just hate to have to fill holes in a brand new boat.

Crow Terminator

You ain't kidding about the Hooks...even the transducer itself is asking for trouble. It stinks out 10 or so inches (tripleshot version) with nothing protecting or supporting it. It moves really easy too. I'm not using it for sonar while running on plane though. I stay between the buoys for that but when I am looking for places to fish by scanning, my eyes are glued to the mapping part. I've been trying to find a Helix 10 or 12 G3N or G4N all day and can't find one in stock. BPS online had them yesterday but today you can only add it to the "wish list". Plenty of Helix 7s though. Everywhere is sold out...back ordered until May-June time frame. Can still find select models without the transducer but that's it.

Last edited:

Crow Terminator

Bass boat central is where I had been searching. But like most forums, it really seems to have died. Everybody is going to social media groups.

What I have found out since via a YouTube video explaining it, Is that the lake offsets is a Humminbird unit patent. That's why the Navionics app can do it, but not the units with a Navionics card. The other manufacturers would have to pay Humminbird for that if they wanted to use it. Makes sense...thus why the others just offer depth color shading on the maps. My search for a bigger Humminbird is still empty handed. I kept having fanboys tell me there wasn't a unit shortage and to "call so and so, they'll set you up". And guess what I got told when I called those places; none in stock...back ordered til late May, early June.

So my YouTube searches got me liking a Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv with GT56 transducer. I was able to find those in stock and bought one. They can do the chart speed setting and I thought it looked good in its imaging as well. Anything will be a upgrade over the Hook Reveal 9 at my console now.

WTM

humminbird and garmin has the offsets but you have to have lakemaster or (ultra) g3 hd mapping and you have to be on the water or pointed to a point on the water before that feature appears. unless theyve added it in the last few months lowrance doesnt have that feature regardless of which mapping you use. they dont have the copyright permissions from navionics or HB. the next best thing you can do on a lowrance unit is do water depth shading and paint the shallow areas.

those long transducers are hard to get set right as a skimmer. gonna be the norm because to get ultra or mega si or whatever the transducer has to be longer. the way to get around that is a 2d xducer y cabled to the imaging transducer which is mounted above the pad under the step or above the step. how it works is the 2d is for running on plane and when you come off plane you can go right into imaging with the motor already trimmed and out of the way. if you go that route get a transducer mounting board so you dont drill a crap load of holes in the boat.

fyi, if you drill your own holes it voids the warranty on a tracker. if thats a big deal id get a tracker certified mechanic to install it.

dont know what happened to my first post, guess i hit something and deleted it.

Crow Terminator

That's another reason I went ahead with the Garmin. I watched a video where a guy with a Tracker 190 like mine did the upgrade to a Garmin and he said the transducer mount already on the boat for the Lowrance tripleshot fit the Garmin transducer. I already had plans to epoxy a piece of cutting board to the transom and drill into it instead of the hull when I was looking into the Humminbird swap because I knew the Bird transducer wouldn't fit in the Lowrance bracket. I had already measured and was considering my possibilities. I think I will like the Garmin. If nothing else I can get a Humminbird when they come back available or just use my Helix 7 for gps mapping only.

When I'm on plane the only screen I look at is the mapping and that's just glances. Have to watch for floating logs, and stupid boaters too much. Or kayaks in the middle of the channel with no flags or lights.

WTM

here is a link to the garmin map features for the g3 ultra upgrade which includes dynamic lake levels(water level offset) that you were asking about, if you decide to purchase it. most all of the major tenn. lakes are high def as well.

i think youll be pleased with the gt56, its probably the best garmin xducer to date and is about as good as what humminbird has with maybe a little bit less range. sadly you cant y cable that particular xducer to a 2d skimmer since it has 2d chirp built in.

high def lakes:

Crow Terminator

Thank you! That has all of the lakes I fish in the list. The main 4 anyways. It looks like that is going to be similar to the Navionics app options on their pay app, which is absolutely awesome. Ordered it...should be here about the same time the unit arrives. But my wife had a total hip replacement last Thursday so it'll be a little bit before I can get a chance to go to.

Last edited:

WTM

Thank you! That has all of the lakes I fish in the list. The main 4 anyways. It looks like that is going to be similar to the Navionics app options on their pay app, which is absolutely awesome.
no problem. garmin bought navionics a year or so ago and have been updating navionics data with their own data, which is recent data when they scanned the lake 4 years ago. but some of the smaller lakes they have been using the navionics data for their mapping on the mfd's.

on ky lake, the navionics app hasnt been updated yet and that data is old. some of the creek channels have been filled in over the years and it doesnt reflect that on navionics, yet. i like navionics for finding structure like old road beds, ditches, old bridges, etc. so be careful and compare it and garmins mapping while you are out on the water in your area.

lol, when i was looking around chickamauga in feb. the water was down. there are some boat killing boulders in those creeks.

rsimms

Hmmmm? I have Humminbird (and Lakemaster) fortunately. I had no idea the Lake Level Offset feature was proprietary to Humminbirds. I'm shocked because that is a CRITICAL feature to have, IMHO.

TNReb

Looks like both Garmin and Humminbird offer the water level offset.

Lowrance doesn't, but I don't really have a need for it personally. I just the cmap shading feature to adjust as I want. The topo lines don't change, but it's not that hard to see "20" and know it's really "10". You get used to it quickly.

Someone like rsimms probably feels differently if they're on lakes that fluctuate a lot, they're out there every single day, and it's how they make their living.

WTM

Love the new unit! I like it so much I just sold the Helix 7 I had and plan on putting another Garmin on the boat. I was unsure of the touchscreen thing but already am used to it.
a little advice, if you put one on the bow get a tempered glass screen protector for it. garmin will not repair a broken screen unless theyve changed their flat rate repair in the last year. russel marine sells fitted ones for about 30 bucks or so.