Eld-x

parch

I just got a new bergara in 6.5 prc trying to figure out what I want to shoot out of it. I can get 143 eld-x locally I have never hunted with them. What's y'all's opinion on them and experiences? Thanks

megalomaniac

So... maybe fine with the PRC velocities, but those type bullets just couldn't handle my 6.5 WSM velocities at close shots. I used the berger 140g hunters at 3250fps, and they worked great killing deer at 300 to 500y. When I passed that rifle to my son and he shot deer at 50 to 100y, we were picking copper flecks out of the hams even though he made great chest shots. Sure, every deer was DRT, but it got old fooling with dressing a deer when guts were exploded on chest shots. Oh, never a pass thru. And forget even trying to trim and save the near side shoulder.

I'd start with the 140g accubonds instead. They should perform great in the 3150 MV range.

Ridgeline300

I don't have any experience with the 6.5 prc but I have plenty with my sons 6.5 creed and my 300 win mag. We almost always get pass throughs, only a couple that I can remember that didn't go through. Couple from the creed and only one from my 300 which went length wise through the whole deer and lodged in back ham. Some run but most dropped in their tracks and massive blood trails on the ones that did run and they didn't make it far. I'd recommend them all day.

Attachments

• IMG_4230.jpeg
    IMG_4230.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 15

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've used the 162 gr out of my7mm RM on elk, mule deer, and antelope. I think it is a good deer sized bullet, but will be switching to a tougher bullet for elk.

UTGrad

The 143 ELD-X is a fine hunting bullet for the 6.5 PRC. High BC, thicker wall at the shank, the interlock to hold together at high velocities and good expansion to speeds as low as 1600 FPS. I always end up with the 143 grain ELD-X in my hunting handloads for 6.5 Creedmoor. They will be equally as good in 6.5 PRC.

parch

👍 they are the cheapest factory loads I have found also which is even better until I start reloading it.

backyardtndeer

I hand load eldx for 308, 6.5 cm, 270, 243, and 6arc. All give very good accuracy. I have killed several deer with the 308 and 6.5cm with those loads. The bullets have performed very well, all 308 kills were bang flops. Some of the 6.5 have also been bang flops, a couple went around 50 yards.

Omega

The 143 ELD-X is a fine hunting bullet for the 6.5 PRC. High BC, thicker wall at the shank, the interlock to hold together at high velocities and good expansion to speeds as low as 1600 FPS. I always end up with the 143 grain ELD-X in my hunting handloads for 6.5 Creedmoor. They will be equally as good in 6.5 PRC.
I hand load eldx for 308, 6.5 cm, 270, 243, and 6arc. All give very good accuracy. I have killed several deer with the 308 and 6.5cm with those loads. The bullets have performed very well, all 308 kills were bang flops. Some of the 6.5 have also been bang flops, a couple went around 50 yards.
What load data do you use for your 6.5CM? I am planning on using data from www.powderthrough.com which has 39.6 gr. of H4350 and 40.3 gr. of I4350 as optimal charges for that combo. I will see which one my T/C Compass like the best, this spring I may load some ladders to see if those supposed optimal charges are actually optimal for the rifle but by then I will probably swap out the scope and lighten up the trigger so will need to be verified again anyway. I have 200 143gr ELDX to pay with so once hunting season is over I can shoot more on my little place without running off the entire herd.

parch

I shot the eld-x out of my 300 prc but have not hunted with it. I just got one of the bergara FSP which will be my main hunting rifle 18in a little over 6 lbs. it turned out balanced pretty good after putting a scope and my dead air nomad-L on the end

backyardtndeer

What load data do you use for your 6.5CM? I am planning on using data from www.powderthrough.com which has 39.6 gr. of H4350 and 40.3 gr. of I4350 as optimal charges for that combo. I will see which one my T/C Compass like the best, this spring I may load some ladders to see if those supposed optimal charges are actually optimal for the rifle but by then I will probably swap out the scope and lighten up the trigger so will need to be verified again anyway. I have 200 143gr ELDX to pay with so once hunting season is over I can shoot more on my little place without running off the entire herd.
I am using imr4350. Without looking at my data and book, I know I am at 42 grains and that was near or right at max. I got my data directly from Hornady, I contacted them asking for data on the eldx for imr4350 and they emailed me back.

My accuracy with the eldx's tightened as I worked my loads up and I stopped when I got to the point I was tearing same holes. Not bad for a gas gun I built in my basement, ballistic advantage 20 inch barrel.
20220822_114219.jpg

UTGrad

41.5 grains H4350 with 143 ELD-X is the easy button with 6.5 Creedmoor. Of course work up but this load is right around 2700 FPS which is similar to the Precision Hunter factory ammo

Latest posts