Ehrlichiosis from ticks

scn

For our turkey hunters:

Since we are entering the tick season, I thought I would throw this tick borne disease out there as well since it isn't as well known as Lyme or Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. I have a doctor friend here in middle TN that fortunately self-diagnosed this a few months ago and started treatment before the lab results were back. He made it though it OK. He had a good friend here in the Nashville area that died from it around the same time.

Here is the writeup for it: https://www.cdc.gov/ehrlichiosis/symptoms/index.html

Treatment is a fairly cheap antibiotic. But, you can't wait too long. I would encourage anyone that is bitten by a tick and has some of the listed symptoms to get to a doctor asap. I lost one on my best friends years ago to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever because he waited, and then the doctor missed the diagnosis. This disease is just as deadly, and, it is here in TN.

And, permethrin is CHEAP compared with some of the issues surrounding ticks. They are already out, so don't wait to start using your spray.

JCDEERMAN

Good thoughts, scn - thanks for sharing. My dad got ehrlichiosis back in the early 90's and I believe they said he was the 3rd diagnosed person in the state of TN at the time. I remember him feeling horrible and running a bad fever. He went to the hospital and they could not figure out what was going on with him. He was there almost a week. He pointed out to the dr's he didn't think it had anything to do with the situation, but that he had been bitten by a tick and he showed them the spot. Turned out that's what it was, they treated him for it and he made a recovery from it.

It ended up being a blessing he got bit by the tick, because during all the tests and scans they did trying to figure out what was wrong with him, they found he had an aortic aneurysm he didn't know he had and it was fixing to bust. They went in and took care of that immediately. If he had not gotten ehrlichiosis, he wouldn't be with us today. God works in mysterious ways

Stlbaseball1

There is supposedly a type of acupuncture that can help you be able to eat red meat again. I'm just a messenger but I've heard it works.

Emmet

I have two friends from Decatur Co that don't know each other and both of them ended up being rushed to Nashville because they were knocking on heaven's door. Both of these guys ended up at the same hospital within a week of each other. One was taken by chopper, the other rushed by ambulance. One guy was there for 2 weeks and released but had to return due to complications. It has taken him some time, but he is back to almost normal. The other fellow spent 35 days in the hospital, the family had been called in because his organs had started shutting down. We thought he was gone, but eventually, he got out and spent 45 days in rehab learning how to walk again. This is something everyone needs to take seriously. It took the doctors several days to figure out what was going on. Neither of them could recall being bit by a tick.

th88

Got five ticks off me yesterday! Don't recall ever getting into them that bad this early into the year.

TheLBLman

Got five ticks off me yesterday! Don't recall ever getting into them that bad this early into the year.
Considering the recent week of such cold temps, including several consecutive mornings of single-digit temperatures, I'm surprised the ticks are actually appear worse than last year.

And seriously, any of us out turkey hunting are more likely to die as the result of a tick bite rather than the result of a snake bite, and that's even if you do not wear snake boots!

Take the ticks seriously, keep your clothing well-treated with Permethrin.
Soak your gloves & socks, too. I soak my head coverings.

When you brush against limbs, ticks can get on your head, and this can be your most vulnerable point when you have otherwise had all your clothing sprayed. They can also get on your hand, crawl up under your sleeve. Be sure you spray the insides of your shirts, not just the outside.

scn

The doctor that had the Ehrlichiosis told me he had recently read a medical paper that said ticks may be building up a resistance to the permanone. They documented ticks in the study that were able to crawl some distance across sprayed clothing and live. Not good.

I am concerned enough about them that during turkey season when I am routinely exposed the most that I wear a base layer barrier that they can't get through IN ADDITION to spraying down. There used to be a product out there called Rhynoskins that was like a heavy panty hose (hunting colors) with reinforced knee and elbow patches. The mesh was so small that even the little seed ticks couldn't get through. They apparently are still in business: https://rynoskin.com/

Cabelas then sold a set of Bugskinz. It is stretchable nylon fabric like some of the UA stuff. Yes, both can get a little warm when it really heats up, but do provide another layer of protection. I just dress lighter above it when it starts to get hot. I haven't seen the Cabelas product in a year or so, but haven't looked very hard since I am set for right now. I bet there are some other products out there as well.

Last edited:

PalsPal

Treatment is a fairly cheap antibiotic. But, you can't wait too long. I would encourage anyone that is bitten by a tick and has some of the listed symptoms to get to a doctor asap.

Tick diseases are a great concern to me as well.

I asked my doctor last year about them and his main recommendation was what I quoted above. While we need to be diligent about preventing letting them get on us, the little suckers still find ways, whether they hitch a ride into a vehicle and then get on us or others at a later time, etc.

So, be diligent about checking yourself daily, and if/when you do find one attached don't freak out. Keep an eye on it, and as soon it it changes in swollenness or color, call your doctor.

scn

Tick diseases are a great concern to me as well.

I asked my doctor last year about them and his main recommendation was what I quoted above. While we need to be diligent about preventing letting them get on us, the little suckers still find ways, whether they hitch a ride into a vehicle and then get on us or others at a later time, etc.

So, be diligent about checking yourself daily, and if/when you do find one attached don't freak out. Keep an eye on it, and as soon it it changes in swollenness or color, call your doctor.
In addition to monitoring the site, monitor other symptoms as well. While a bite site change may be indicative for lymes, it isn't in some of the others.

If you start having some flu-like symptoms after removing an attached tick, it is time to see a doctor. Those type of symptoms can be the first sign that a tick borne disease is kicking in.

Being proactive on that can be hard during turkey season. After several days of before dawn to dusk hunting and a lot of up and down ridge miles, it is pretty normal to feel similar to the flu coming on. You can feel really wore down. Just be vigilant. I know NONE of us want the hassle and expense of a doctor's visit. But, the initial treatment for this stuff is pretty cheap. Fighting it after it is established has ASTROMONICAL costs.

If you end up with a doctor that isn't well-versed in tick borne diseases, and many aren't, be pretty insistent on some doxycycline or a similar antibiotic. It is pretty cheap, and is a drop in the bucket against future costs if it isn't treated early on.

Monk74

A few years ago I got RMSF during turkey season.Knew I had been bitten but, thought nothing of it because I would guess my previous tick bites to be in the thousands. I was freezing on 80 degree days and had a horrible fever and sweats all night.It attacked my liver. Doc called said get to the hospital asap, thought I had liver cancer. Went on for over a week before it was diagnosed. I spray everything down now. Even my drawers.

Union Co. Boy

The doctor that had the Ehrlichiosis told me he had recently read a medical paper that said ticks may be building up a resistance to the permanone. They documented ticks in the study that were able to crawl some distance across sprayed clothing and live. Not good.

I am concerned enough about them that during turkey season when I am routinely exposed the most that I wear a base layer barrier that they can't get through IN ADDITION to spraying down. There used to be a product out there called Rhynoskins that was like a heavy panty hose (hunting colors) with reinforced knee and elbow patches. The mesh was so small that even the little seed ticks couldn't get through.

Cabelas then sold a set of Bugskinz. It is stretchable nylon fabric like some of the UA stuff. Yes, both can get a little warm when it really heats up, but do provide another layer of protection. I just dress lighter above it when it starts to get hot. I haven't seen the Cabelas product in a year or so, but haven't looked very hard since I am set for right now. I bet there are some other products out there as well.
Wore my Rhynoskins out between hunting and ginsenging. Bought the Cabelas version and they have performed very well. No ticks, chiggers, or any other bite in any place they cover. Great recommendation.

catman529

Soak your clothes in permethrin the day before you wear them.
Ticks are more deadly than all the snakes so many worry about.
Yep...I've never worn snake boots, even caught a rattlesnake one time. Ticks are not something to be fooled with. You come home and find a big ole lone star latched on...once or twice maybe no big deal, but we spend a lot of time in the woods. Permethrin is one of the best pesticides to ever exist for us outdoorsmen.

Tom Collins

Ticks are no joke, take every precaution. My mother contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and was bed ridden for months. It's been over a year and she still isn't 100%. And she's a lucky one.

Latest posts