Ticks

scn

It looks like they are really bad this year. A couple of weekends ago, my wife and I went over to my hunting lease in Stewart Co. to replace a tarp over my trailer. I had on some pants that had been dipped multiple times, so they didn't bother me. Even after spraying down with permanone, they ate my wife up. I think she ended up picking nine off of her. Most were the tiny seed tick size.

Spraying heavy with the permithrin certainly helps. If you REALLY want to up your game, try some of these: https://rynoskin.com/

I have been using Rynoskin products for at least 15 years. I wear it every day during turkey season, and, anytime I know I am going to be around ticks for an extended period. It is basically a panty-hose type material that you wear as a base layer. They are selling it again in a camo version. Yes, it is a little hotter than not having it on. But, the mesh on the stuff is so fine that even the little seed ticks can't get through. Supposedly it helps with mosquitoes as well, but, I haven't tested it much against those.

It is on the pricey side. But, after losing one of my best friends to Rocky Mtn spotted fever, and several friends dealing with the alpha-gal syndrome where they can't eat red meat, the peace of mind is worth it to me. You can still get one off your hands, neck, etc where the base layer doesn't cover you, but, it is a pretty awesome shield.

TheLBLman

I have been using Rynoskin products for at least 15 years. . . . . . Supposedly it helps with mosquitoes as well, but, I haven't tested it much against those.
You can still get one off your hands, neck, etc where the base layer doesn't cover you, but, it is a pretty awesome shield.
I've also been using this a long time, and it absolutely does help with mosquitoes, especially if there is any other clothing layer on top of the Rynoskin.

It is also a significant help with yellowjackets. They will sting thru it, but they can't get as deep, and it does slow them down a bit.

But don't get a false sense of security with the ticks, just because ticks may not bite thru it.
If you don't use permethrin, the ticks just crawl to the edge of the Rynoskin, then find a place to bite you, and can be particularly bad about finding a way.

You need BOTH Rynoskin AND Permithrin!

scn

Certainly didn't mean to imply that you can skip the permithrin part. That is always the first level of defense. I normally go a level above just spraying with it.

Deep Woods Off on the hands and neck seems to greatly help the intrusions around the edges.

NOTHING is 100% with those little bassturds. But, the Rynoskins definitely help.

Last edited:

REN

again WORTH is up to the user but Sitka came out with a set of items that kinda mirrors the Rhino Skin logic. The material itself is suppose to eliminate mosqitos, ticks, chiggers etc all while having the ability to breath so you are not like an oven in hot temps. Pants have built in gaitors on the inside to keep your legs covered and they have gloves, neck cover and other stuff. I personally have never tried it so no idea if its good or bad and like most sitka stuff it isnt cheap.

Setterman

I did read that about humans... I reckon I'll pass on that for now! lol.. I have found a great substitute in ostrich and emu to satisfy my "red meat" appetite.
It's not that bad, a little adjustment is needed but after a few meals you'll grow to like it. I prefer the fat ones that eat mostly sweets. Good marbling and flavor 🤣🤣🤣

Carlos

I heard panty hose works just as well, and a whole lot cheaper but I've not tried 'em yet.

rbreedi1

I've been eating it as well, been ordering it from amaroo hills. When cooked right it's hard to tell the difference between it and beef.
Yep, I get mine from Amaroo Hills as well. I would never know the difference in ostrich vs beef if you didnt tell me what it was. I did order some from a new place called Salger's out of Illinois on my last order. They've only got Ostrich but its cheaper than Amaroo.

Hymie3

I went for a short hike yesterday up the mountain behind the house looking for mushrooms and when I got back I had four ticks on me. I didn't spray first though. They are bad this year. Just sprayed sawyers on my Turkey clothes ready for tomorrow. Always works well for me…

Latest posts