Easy access/high success Knoxville fishing?

tahtah

Where could I take my 2.5 year old grandson fishing tomorrow (first time)? They live on the east side of Knoxville. It'll be tomorrow afternoon during the football game.

I'm thinking bobber, hook & worm type fishing. It needs to be easy to get to and a high probability of catching something. Size and species are obviously not important.

Suggestions? Thx!

tahtah

Any public access point along the river should be productive for bluegill with what you're using

Thanks. Any specific location suggestions. I've avoided becoming that familiar with Knoxville.

And to be honest, the river and the addition of current to the mix, concerns me just a bit with a 2.5 old.

Tenntrapper

First place that popped in my mind was Fountain City duck pond, but that's N Knoxville. And although I haven't been there in decades, I have read that it closes at dark because of the homeless people....but no first hand knowledge.

Also thought of Buffalo Springs WMA....but it's under delayed harvest regs right now.... artificial bait only...and catch and release.

Lastly.... If you're just looking to catch a fish and aren't picky about size or species...I would go to the boat ramp at Cherokee dam (on the lake side). Super easy access...drive right to the water. Not suppose to fish from the floating dock, but nothing says you can't stand to the side and cast to it. People do it all the time. You can also walk back in that cove... towards the primitive campsites. Surely through there somewhere you can catch a bluegill.
A little farther away...there is Grainger county Park...and boat ramp. Can fish anywhere around there. Across the cove is Greenlee campground and access area. Should be able to fish the cove from that side.
Wife just informed me there is a bass tournament launching from the dam ramp tomorrow....might want to skip that...up to you. Unless of course he likes looking at boats.. 😂
That's all I can think of right now...from the bank.

Good luck

mike243

The Duck Pond is 5 minutes off of 640 on broadway, there is a park at the fair grounds that is east off magnolia, both are easy to find

Setterman

Thanks. Any specific location suggestions. I've avoided becoming that familiar with Knoxville.

And to be honest, the river and the addition of current to the mix, concerns me just a bit with a 2.5 old.
Downtown Knoxville, there's miles of "river" front that's more like a lake. Nothing to be worried about as far as current. Look at the area near where 3rd creek enters the lake across from the UT gardens.

Biggun4214

That was 40+ years ago. Other than my fishing buddy I can only remember seeing one other person there. There was a woman that would sunbathe nekkid from time to time.