East TN - WMA or TVA land?

Black Titan

Hi folks,

New to hunting TN and brand new to hunting archery, and looking to get out this year. I had some private land lined up but those plans changed and now I'm looking for somewhere to go.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on which one of these areas would be better for a first hunt, and mostly, safer for someone who may be going alone.

I'm looking possibly at the Mt Roosevelt WMA, and there's some TVA land that looks like it could be a good option in Solway, but I haven't had a chance to get out and look at it. It looks fairly small. I've only been looking at it from Google maps.

Also, any tips for someone going into it alone? I've got a portable GPS, and plan to let loved ones know where I'm at but not sure about cell reception in these areas. Would you suggest wearing orange during archery? I know it's more of an issue for gun season due to the ranges from which shots are being taken, but I cant imagine a broadhead would feel very good being shot from someone who didn't verify their target before releasing.

BT

JeepKuntry

Never hunted Mt. Roosevelt. But I think it has different dates than statewide. As for TVA it can be challenging and rewarding. Just know November through mid December is gonna get hit hard.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

No clue where you are but you might be surprised if you knock on a few doors for archery only permission. Small wood lots that many hunters don't consider because big buck chance are less likely can definitely be a great place to fill the freezer. My #1 go-to spot is 29 ac. Archery only……I love it

Black Titan

No clue where you are but you might be surprised if you knock on a few doors for archery only permission. Small wood lots that many hunters don't consider because big buck chance are less likely can definitely be a great place to fill the freezer. My #1 go-to spot is 29 ac. Archery only……I love it

I live in Harriman. I've tried a few ideas and either people don't want hunting on their property, they plan to hunt it themselves, or they already have family/friends that will be hunting it.

I'm still looking around. I may not get out opening day but hopefully will find something for this season.

BT

Black Titan

If you want to come to rhea County I have a lease there I can invite you to hunt or Madisonville I have a ton of land to hunt in Madisonville you welcome to come down and tag alone.

Thats the Dayton area isn't it? That's where my bow shop is, Harvest Archery. Doc is about the only person I trust to touch my bow other than myself. Man knows his stuff for sure.

I may take you up on that offer. I appreciate it.

BT

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I am in Scott county TN, so North Cumberland TWRA area is good. A lot of land and several old strip pits. Plus they open up bear hunting this year during bow season. I hunt big south fork a lot also, but no bear season

jlanecr500

That little place in Solway has a lot of foot traffic and other types of dealings too. I wouldn't waste my time. I hunt Mt Roosevelt wma and would be glad to show you some places there.

Black Titan

That little place in Solway has a lot of foot traffic and other types of dealings too. I wouldn't waste my time. I hunt Mt Roosevelt wma and would be glad to show you some places there.

That's kind of exactly what I was afraid of about that area in Solway. The "other" foot traffic.

I guess I should also mention that I plan to spot and stalk from the ground. I don't have a tree stand. Besides, for some odd reason, ever since I started taking meds for blood pressure if I get more than a few feet off the ground I get woozy. No clue why. I used to be perfectly fine with heights. It's not even a fear, but a physical reaction from being off the ground.

Anyways, another reason I want to hunt somewhere more private than public is I don't want to be stomping through the woods and mess up someone else's hunt or spot.

BT

jlanecr500

That's kind of exactly what I was afraid of about that area in Solway. The "other" foot traffic.

I guess I should also mention that I plan to spot and stalk from the ground. I don't have a tree stand. Besides, for some odd reason, ever since I started taking meds for blood pressure if I get more than a few feet off the ground I get woozy. No clue why. I used to be perfectly fine with heights. It's not even a fear, but a physical reaction from being off the ground.

Anyways, another reason I want to hunt somewhere more private than public is I don't want to be stomping through the woods and mess up someone else's hunt or spot.

BT
You need a Millennium tree seat. Sit in a known travel route and you will be much more successful than Elmering thru the woods.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

I live in Harriman. I've tried a few ideas and either people don't want hunting on their property, they plan to hunt it themselves, or they already have family/friends that will be hunting it.

I'm still looking around. I may not get out opening day but hopefully will find something for this season.

BT
When I say small wood lots I mean small…. 5 acres is plenty to enjoy a great hunt. I've taken 122 deer over the past 35 years and I just took one of my top 3 east tn bucks during the velvet hunt on 15 acres.

Mattt

BT
You're not far from royal blue

Latest posts