Dye/Wax

sharpshooter

I am about to buy some 550's and Dp traps and get after these coons and Yotes on my place. I have never trapped with these types of traps and know nothing about them. Do I need to order dye and wax when I order my traps and give them a treatment or can I wait till the traps get some age on them and dye/wax them?

hammer33

the conventional wisdom is to degrease them, spritz with vinegar/water solution to allow them to rust just a little, clean them, then dye/wax. I used to do that. Now I degrease (spray with carb or brake cleaner) , spray paint with rustoleum, and hang outside in the sun for a week to dry/cure.
I get almost a whole season from this treatment with multiple catches before the paint is scraped off enough to need repainting. As an added bonus I have pretty traps in several colors :p

wildlifefarmer

For myself, I don't use wax or dye. New traps from factory, wash the grease off and throw them in the ground. After trapping season clean with vinegar and water mixture, half & half. Rinse then let air dry. They will turn alittle rusty in about 30 minutes then dip in full metal jacket. Good to go for the next season!!

Trapper

Like said above but I will run mine through the dishwasher ( without the wife's knowledge of it ) . The way I look at putting dye on a trap that going to get covered up with dirt or other material is useless, but I do always wax them . Traps that's going in water is a different story .

Latest posts