do you wax and die your traps

D84

I am fairly new to trapping. I have trapped for a few years here and there but never seriously. I'm bout to jump in and order more traps and all. I have never waded or died a trap. Just curious how important it really is. Thanks

TN Song Dog

I feel dye is not as important, since you will just be covering them with dirt. You definately want to clean and degrease new traps first. I have never used the dip, so cant comment on it. I like the clear or white trap wax. You need close to 10lb to get enough in a canning size pot to be deep enough, but that 10lb will last a while and do several traps.

D84

Does the full metal jacket serve as a wax also? If not would it be better to just but 10lbs of black wax to darken color up a bit at the same time?

pass-thru

I used full metal jacket once, and never will again. First it is not cheaper for faster than conventional wax. It takes longer to dry and if you treat your traps 2-3 times as recommended, it will take much longer than wax. More importantly, the only time I have ever contaminated traps, it was with FMJ. Numerous traps uncovered and marked with poop. I pulled them from my line and only went back at the end of season when I ran out of clean traps. Same thing happened in a different part of the state when I returned the FMJ traps. Never again.

TN Song Dog":10onyxae said:
I feel dye is not as important, since you will just be covering them with dirt.

You are not dying for the way they look....it neutralizes odors on the trap, specifically rust, and this further protects the traps from further corrosion. Wax a rusty trap and k9's may still smell it through dirt covering.

TN Song Dog

Good point on the logwood or other natural dye process neutralizing odors.

Black Wax: I bought some and had to get a refund on it. It had a strong petroleum odor, and the only thing I've ever smelled like that was a cheap set of black car mats I bought at Walmart. It was definately not odorless, or at least not the batch I received.

Latest posts