Why the wax paper?

Os2 Outdoors

To keep it from freezing up. Most people use dry peat moss. Frozen mud it trap WILL NOT go off.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Os2 Outdoors

RobbyW":3tkoecqn said:
Os2 Outdoors":3tkoecqn said:
To keep it from freezing up. Most people use dry peat moss. Frozen mud it trap WILL NOT go off.

So with peat moss do you need the wax paper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some say yes some say no. All depends on conditions. If you have thaw during the day then yes because the dry peat moss will wick the moisture up and freeze the trap up just the same.

pass-thru

Wax paper is used as a pan cover. The purpose of the pan cover is to keep dirt and debris out from under the trap pan. If the space below the trap pan becomes compacted with dirt and debris, it will not fire.

Peat poss is of a certain quality and density that does not compact easily. Therefore, if the space below the pan is filled with peat, the trap will still fire. Therefore, one of the main benefits of using peat is that you do not have to use a pan cover. And that is an absolutely huge benefit in my opinion. To be sure, you must be using dry peat that is not filled with debris, and definitely never mix it with dirt. That just ruins the useful qualities of the peat. I have made many thousands of trap sets with peat, with many types of traps, including step-down pans. The only trap I had a problem with was the KB compound, which has an extremely low pan.

The other benefit of using dry peat is that it sheds and incredible amount of water. This reduces the need for anti-freeze (still have to use some) but also keeps the trap functioning after a few inches of rain. I have had dry peat under the pan and a flooded out dirt hole.

I love peat and that is all I use.

Atchman2

Ill get some peat today and give it a try. You are right about finding dry dirt. Im just starting out. Used to have tons of critters until the coyotes moved into the area. My goal is total coyote elimination!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

pass-thru

bigjohn":1emvuolv said:
i've also had luck with coffee filters and in a pinch i've used a big leaf.

The best way to use leaves is to crumple dry leaves and push them under the pan....will keep it from compacting with dirt.

Atchman2

I ordered some pan covers to try. Today i set with wax paper. I had to dig up my traps they were frozen solid.

I reset them with the peat moss and rebaited them. The coyotes were out i saw two but my traps were just too frozen to work.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

WayneCountyGiant

If your using peat moss you don't need a Pan cover. I don't have any problems at all with traps firing without pan cover when using peat moss.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts