Waxed Dirt

Trapper

Here is a set that I posted a few years ago that really works good in the rain. It's called the pipe dream set .

Shanman

No. Wax your dirt first and put back in storage containers, then play around with mixtures of waxed dirt and peat moss, see if you can come up with a mixture you like. We happened upon the mixture accidentally, had some waxed dirt left over and threw it in a 5gal bucket, then started adding peat. It turned out great and that's when we realized we could mix the two and make our dirt go farther. We were buying our waxed dirt already made and bagged.

DeerCamp

Anyone use it for sets? Have 10 gallons of dry clean dirt & ordered some wax flakes yesterday. Hoping to make it with turkey roaster pan & fish cooker. Next two weeks are looking very wet so thought would give a try.
I'm new to trapping, but I managed to trap 2 coyotes (one on sunday, one on monday).

I ran out of dry dirt, so instead I just covered the traps with a couple flat leaves.

I was kind of shocked it worked.

Shanman

Dry dirt doesn't absorb water and turn to mud, thus it can't freeze. Not hard to make and plenty of youtube videos on how to make it. Main thing is it needs to be bone dry when melting and mixing in wax. Do not get to hot if using a heat source such as a torch, you don't want it to have a burnt odor. Peat moss is great to use also, just make sure it's dry. Driest part of the summer is the best time to prep both.

Trapper

Look on page 5 on the trapping, I posted a link to a good set in the rain . The title was trapping in the rain , the set is a pipe dream set you use just dried grass to cover the set .

hammer33

The purpose of waxed dirt is to prevent freezing. It also helps with a rain then dry out situation so your cover dirt doesnt turn into mud then concrete when it dries out.
I have been using peat moss instead of waxed dirt with good results. Wax dirt is probably better but peat moss is cheap and TSC or garden supply stores usually carry it and its like $12 for a bale which lasts me several seasons.

wildlifefarmer

I sometimes use both waxed dirt n peat moss, but always peat. If weather is going downhill with freezing temperatures all day for several days waxed dirt is used just underneath and the outside of jaws peat is used lnside of the jaws packed and leveled with pan. Pan n jaws are then covered with 1/4 inch dry dirt then blended in. Works great here in mid Tennessee

tellico4x4

Thanks for the advice. Inch of rain last night, with combo of waxed dirt & peat moss all 15 sets were dry today! Have to admit that I was skeptical 😂. I'll make twice as much next year.

Latest posts