Dunstan chestnuts seed help

Hollar Hunter

I know it's been talked about before but I can't find it when I try to do the searches. I planted a few Dunstan chestnut trees a few years ago. They've done very well and I have quite a few nuts this year. I want to grow as many of them as I can and was hoping to get the best process to get the best germination results. Would appreciate all info and willing to share a few trees as I don't need them all...

wbpdeer

Hollar Hunter,

I got one pound of Dunstan Chestnuts in the fall of 2014. So I have had experience with them - not just with Chinese Chestnuts.

As soon as you collect the dunstan chestnuts from the trees, I recommend you soak them in water overnight. That will hydrate the nuts well and it allows you to see which chestnuts float. Most all of us growers don't attempt to grow a seedling from a floater. I say toss the floaters after they have been soaked overnight and still float.

Take the nuts after the overnight soaking and dry them with a fan on a towel on the floor. I believe in putting 10 to 12 chestnuts in each sandwich bag with holes poked in one side of the sandwich bag. I have a dorm fridge (small fridge - often called a beer fridge) which I keep at 34 degrees Fahrenheit and I put the sandwich bags of chestnuts in there.

Thru my testing and others, we get better germination if we keep them in the fridge at least 80 days - you can keep them in their 90 to 100 days. For me in Portland, TN I start nuts and acrons in growing media the first few days of January. I have two grow boxes in my basement and now I have a new greenhouse built this summer.

Why just 10 to 12 chestnuts to a bag? Chestnuts are high in carbohydrate. This makes them very susceptible to getting mold. If we get mold we want to let the damage. I have a fridge full of chestnuts right now. None of the bags of chestnuts have anything in the bag right now. In November, I will add sphagnum moss to those bags. That is long fibered stuff. It will be soaked in a small bucket first and then I will take handfuls and grip it as tight as possible to eliminate as much water as possible. We want it damp - not soaking wet and not dripping.

Now spread the damp sphagnum moss out in the bag. We don't want to bury them or hide them in the stuff. This sphagnum moss reduces mold and delays germination.

When I stick the chestnuts in the growing media in January, most will have shown a radicle but not all will have a radicle.

I am a container grower by nature. I do just a little direct seeding. That is a preference - a person can be successful doing either method.

I grow chestnuts for whitetail deer - not for human consumption.

I hope my answer helps you understand the process I go thru. There are other ways to be successful but this is my procedure.

Wayne

wbpdeer

What is Spahgnum Moss?

Here is a photo of what I buy. I get it at Lowes.

Attachments

• Sphagnum Moss Bag.JPG
    Sphagnum Moss Bag.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 4,212

Hollar Hunter

Thank you for your response! I'm hoping to get a germination rate. I'll be container growing them for the first season.

wbpdeer

I wish you the best of luck. Chestnuts are fun to grow because they are vigorous growers.

This will be my third season to grow them and if I can help you, please let me know. I am located in Sumner County. What part of TN are you from?

Germination rates can be in the high 70's to low 90's percentage wise if cold stratified in the fridge. I have no idea on direct seed germination rates.

Boone 58

wbpdeer":1u6j4jh5 said:
Hollar Hunter,

I got one pound of Dunstan Chestnuts in the fall of 2014. So I have had experience with them - not just with Chinese Chestnuts.

As soon as you collect the dunstan chestnuts from the trees, I recommend you soak them in water overnight. That will hydrate the nuts well and it allows you to see which chestnuts float. Most all of us growers don't attempt to grow a seedling from a floater. I say toss the floaters after they have been soaked overnight and still float.

Take the nuts after the overnight soaking and dry them with a fan on a towel on the floor. I believe in putting 10 to 12 chestnuts in each sandwich bag with holes poked in one side of the sandwich bag. I have a dorm fridge (small fridge - often called a beer fridge) which I keep at 34 degrees Fahrenheit and I put the sandwich bags of chestnuts in there.

Thru my testing and others, we get better germination if we keep them in the fridge at least 80 days - you can keep them in their 90 to 100 days. For me in Portland, TN I start nuts and acrons in growing media the first few days of January. I have two grow boxes in my basement and now I have a new greenhouse built this summer.

Why just 10 to 12 chestnuts to a bag? Chestnuts are high in carbohydrate. This makes them very susceptible to getting mold. If we get mold we want to let the damage. I have a fridge full of chestnuts right now. None of the bags of chestnuts have anything in the bag right now. In November, I will add sphagnum moss to those bags. That is long fibered stuff. It will be soaked in a small bucket first and then I will take handfuls and grip it as tight as possible to eliminate as much water as possible. We want it damp - not soaking wet and not dripping.

Now spread the damp sphagnum moss out in the bag. We don't want to bury them or hide them in the stuff. This sphagnum moss reduces mold and delays germination.

When I stick the chestnuts in the growing media in January, most will have shown a radicle but not all will have a radicle.

I am a container grower by nature. I do just a little direct seeding. That is a preference - a person can be successful doing either method.

I grow chestnuts for whitetail deer - not for human consumption.

I hope my answer helps you understand the process I go thru. There are other ways to be successful but this is my procedure.

Wayne

Awesome!!

Latest posts