Dunstan Chestnuts

TNlandowner

Very nice. We have a few scheduled for delivery near us as well.

I planted several Chestnut trees in 2013. These trees started producing a few nuts in 2018. I got 3 nuts started last winter, planted them along the edge of a food plot in late January. They were off to a wonderful spring start, along with all the other trees, until the temperature dropped to 27 last week! Now, all the leaves are wilted and appear to be dead! I hope the trees have enough energy to regrow more leaves. Dang cold weather also killed our grape vine leaves, fig leaves, popular leaves, persimmon leaves, and pawpaw tree leaves.

I have 30 nuts from the 2019 crop started in root maker pots now. Thankfully, they were indoors when the freeze hit.

Funny thing: Our white, red, & sawtooth oak trees, along with cousin chinqapin, all survived the brief freezing weather and are growing & pollinating right now.

LanceS4803

I got 3 at Rural King several years ago, but one has died on me.
Thanks for the spreadsheet. They are getting more in next week!

FTG-05

What happened to the guy that used to sell Chestnut Trees on this site? His farm was somewhere north of Nashville, near KY. 1000Chestnuts or something like that. He used to be on the old QDMA site and also the Deer Hunter Forum.

BigAl

I have planted several Dunstans.
First planting, 5 trees. Ran over one with the bush hog, the deer destroyed 3, and the one left looks great and has even produced nuts.
2nd planting was seedlings. None survived.
This is my 3rd try. Put 5 trees in the ground this time.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Have several DC trees. Got them from Walmart 2.5 years ago or so. They are doing decent. Had 2 that produced 3-4 burrs last year. The late frost has got me this year. Hoping they'll come out of it. I had 2 Thst died because I didn't cage them and the deer tore the tree tubes off and horned them. Gotta replace them !

Country1

I found an old chestnut tree on my farm last year. I assume it is a chinese. Anyhow, I tried to get some of the nuts to sprout without any success. So I bought some trees this year...6 chinese from Mcnairy Central ag department and 12 Dunstan from the Wal Mart in Savannah... the last 4 on clearance for $15 each. I hope to set up a greenhouse once I start getting nuts and grow my own trees. They are an interesting project.

Latest posts