Dunstan Chestnut

Boone25/06

Yes they have impressed me compared to other trees I have planted for deer. Hard to put a year on attractiveness to deer though. To start the deer had a hard time beating me to the chestnuts the first couple years they produced. I saved and sprouted 100s from the first trees to produce. If I had to put a number on it I would say 8 years before they attract deer but not a ton of nuts until around 10-12 years

gladesman60

10 years to have a lot. Way faster than any oak that i am aware of. Also many oaks dont produce acorns every year. My chestnuts do. Last year was a bumper crop for me. This year doesnt look near as good but still going to have a bunch.

BSK

I've had some luck. Nuts start falling pretty quick, but I'd agree its probably going to take 10 years to produce a bunch. But the deer love them and will start checking them as soon as they're dropping.
What I like about the Sawtooth is they start falling a little earlier than the native white oaks. For a week or two, they are THE top preference for deer.

Latest posts