Do deer like Chestnut Oak acorns?

McCoy

I have a piece of property I hunt that is throwing these on the ground like crazy. Very very few white oaks around. I thought their tannin level was high, but im just making sure.

Huntaholic

According to what the experts on here say, there are different types of chestnut oaks and some say they wont eat em. Its been my experience though that around here THEY WEAR EM OUT! Ive killed more deer under chestnut oaks than I have white oaks actually. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they are the first ones to hit the ground.

Winchester

I guarantee you they will HAMMER them when its the best thing available, and I too have killed dozens under the Chestnut oaks from one end of TN to the other.

BSK

Winchester said:
I guarantee you they will HAMMER them when its the best thing available, and I too have killed dozens under the Chestnut oaks from one end of TN to the other.

As Winchester said, when they are the only (or best) acorn available, sure they'll eat them. In a normal year (and this is not one of those), the Mountain Chestnut Oak acorns usually start falling about two weeks before the White Oak acorns. During that two weeks, deer hammer the Chestnut Oak acorns, but as soon as the whites fall, the Chestnut Oak acorns are ignored.

Nealmeally

Hunted a farm last couple years that had Chestnut Oaks up at the top of a steep ridge. Was a booger of a walk up there, but when those acorns were dropping the deer was up there in herds. You would run em off when you got up there. They would watch you climb into stand and be right back under you in 5 minutes. Had 23 deer in bow range one evening crunching away.... So from what I've seen, they love em!

Latest posts