Very interesting video about the American chestnut

sgtwebb1

I remember them as well. As a small boy there were many dead grey trees still standing in the woods. They always looked ghostly to me and the wood lasted a long time I thought. They looked as though they'd been dead for many many years and we're still standing
I remember the same thing, and Dad pointing them out to us when squirrel hunting.

BigAl

1000%!!!! I've planted so many of those dog gone things and deer obliterate them. None have ever made it to production yet. Several of them sprouted anew from the roots after deer tore them up, and I'll be dipped if the rabbits didn't eat them right back down. I can only imagine what they'd be like if they produced nuts. I dream of having a hillside loaded with them but so far it's proving a difficult task!
Exactly why I switched to potted plants, then still had to cage them.

utvolsfan77

Earlier tonight I came across two family photos I mentioned earlier in this thread.

The men in these photos are brothers of my great grandfather. Family members have dated these between 1910-1920 due to the inclusion of specific individuals in the photos. These were taken just outside of Gate City in Scott County, Virginia. Notice the stacks of freshly sawn chestnut lumber stickered to air dry in the first photo, and the hatchets and draw knives in the second photo.

When I come across them actually cutting a chestnut tree with one of those crosscut saws I will post a few of those as well..

Attachments

• Quillin, Carl Eugene, Joseph Robert, John Jesse & James Ezra 1.jpg
    Quillin, Carl Eugene, Joseph Robert, John Jesse & James Ezra 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Quillin, Joseph Robert Sr. & Brothers 1.jpg
    Quillin, Joseph Robert Sr. & Brothers 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 48

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

If any of you folks are in the far eastern part of the state, pay attention to old barns being torn down in your areas. Believe it or not, but the American Chestnut was so common 100 years ago that it was used as the primary lumber in barn construction from 1900-1940. I was surprised to learn this but saw it for myself when a local barn was torn down just over 10 years ago.
Shhhh....dont talk so loud... I'm up here and I promise there is nothing to see..🤞

Latest posts