Persimmons and Chestnut Oaks

Bad habit

It looks like they are just starting to fall. That is all.

Attachments

• 20220918_161245.jpg
    20220918_161245.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220918_155855.jpg
    20220918_155855.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

BSK

Strange, but we haven't had a good crop of Mountain Chestnut Oak acorns in years. They used to be such regular producers.

Grnwing

My persimmons have completely fallen off some of my trees about a month early, I believe from the extremely dry weather is to blame. I have one big tree between my food plots that is still loaded, it sits down in a low spot.

BSK

My persimmons have completely fallen off some of my trees about a month early, I believe from the extremely dry weather is to blame. I have one big tree between my food plots that is still loaded, it sits down in a low spot.
The persimmons fell off my trees due to drought back in late June and early July. Same with acorns and hickories.

BSK

My Chestnut Oaks are loaded and already dropping. Only problem is nothing around here will touch them. I always called them "starvation" acorns because the critters will only eat them if there's nothing else to eat.
Here, the squirrels eat them. And because they're usually the first acorn to fall, the deer will eat them briefly (for about 2 weeks in September), but once other varieties begin to fall, the deer don't touch them.

hitek7

Persimmons are falling on our farm right now and they are tearing them up. They will be gone by the weekend for the most part.

BSK

Persimmons are falling on our farm right now and they are tearing them up. They will be gone by the weekend for the most part.
That was always my argument against going to the effort of planting persimmon trees for hunting. The early dropping variety drop them too early. A late-dropping variety exists, but it's impossible to tell the two varieties apart until they start to fruit.

hitek7

That was always my argument against going to the effort of planting persimmon trees for hunting. The early dropping variety drop them too early. A late-dropping variety exists, but it's impossible to tell the two varieties apart until they start to fruit.
And they do not last very long. If you miss the 5-6 day period they usually drop then you are out of luck. They are tearing the food plots up right now though and they probably will probably be dirt by next rain.

BSK

Seeing a few red oak acorns scattered on the ground in SW TN. Killed a few squirrels out of red oaks this past Saturday. They were making all kinds of noise cutting the acorns.
Most of the red oak acorns I'm seeing on the ground in Nashville are being knocked down by squirrels (still green). Not seeing many brown, mature acorns falling yet.

Latest posts