Ducks feeding at night

Chaneylake

Up and down the Hatchie River the ducks are feeding at night.

Yesterday afternoon 2 of us hunted our standing corn spot.

We killed one greenhead.

We quit at legal sunset.

Picked up our 12 decoys and before we could motor about 300 yards
The ducks started pouring into the standing corn.

We saw approximately 1000 ducks land into the standing corn.

They will probably have it picked clean before the 31st.

Mallard Estates has 110 +/- acres that has almost been picked clean by mallards feeding at night.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I had pool 14 at Bogota January 10-12. We scared a lot of mallards out of the flooded corn going in for the morning, they definitely didn't come back once it was daylight. We ended up scratching out a gadwall and a merganser. the last day. First 2 days were a wash.

Dodge Man

https://youtu.be/bI6FIuWQWQk

A field we were hunting a few years ago got like that towards the end of the season. We would not see many ducks all day long but as soon as sunset came around the ducks would start pouring into the standing corn. We would sit and watch Thousands of ducks come in before it got too dark to see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tickweed

sure. they adapt to pressure. this is the way they live, unless brutal cold , and they have to feed. fields are slowly becoming less and less attractive for hunting. Ld much rather hunt a resting area.

Bgoodman30

tickweed":2wpxnqzs said:
sure. they adapt to pressure. this is the way they live, unless brutal cold , and they have to feed. fields are slowly becoming less and less attractive for hunting. Ld much rather hunt a resting area.

Certainly rest holes have shined on these last 2 mild years. I'm sure that will change some as it will get cold again. Just a cycle Imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bgoodman30

Chaneylake":2tvfeom6 said:
Up and down the Hatchie River the ducks are feeding at night.

Yesterday afternoon 2 of us hunted our standing corn spot.

We killed one greenhead.

We quit at legal sunset.

Picked up our 12 decoys and before we could motor about 300 yards
The ducks started pouring into the standing corn.

We saw approximately 1000 ducks land into the standing corn.

They will probably have it picked clean before the 31st.

Mallard Estates has 110 +/- acres that has almost been picked clean by mallards feeding at night.

It's been this way for as long as I can remember. It does seem to get worse each year especially if it's mild. I honestly believe some ducks never see the light of day on pressured ground. They leave for refuge way before LST and leave again for roost at dark thirty..

I have noticed in early November almost a month before season ducks feeding exclusively at night. It's getting worse each year.

It seems like migration and feeding activity was light this year because the weather never came. If it's cold and ducks have to feed multiple times a day they will fly early and often trying to find food and keep it open..

It's hard to believe we have had 2 seasons in a row without having to bust out a hole...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts