Drop shoting?

catman529

I have never tried it. I am overly simple minded with rigs... carolina with only split shots for lizards or crawfish, jigheads for curltail grubs, egg sinker with a split shot and hook for bottom fishing with cut bait... And I only use one knot that is the clinch not, still haven't learned the palomar knot. lol

AllOutdoors

I use thin braid or 6lb mono. I use a 1/2 oz. casting sinker(lots of current on the Duck). Gamakatsu weedless wacky hook. Bait is usually a Luck E Strike Bass Magic Shakey Tail SwimBait.

Lincoln Co Archer

I have used it with pretty good success. My basic dropshot rig would be a small circle hook, on 8 or 10lb flouro line, 1/8 oz dropshot wt, with a Zoom tiny fluke or a straightail Roboworm.

When the going gets tough I really rely on the dropshot. Alot of people think you have to fish it vertically and drop it straight down on structure, but I have caught more fish on it casting to points and docks than anything.

The circle hook really helps on sets. Just start reeling and give the rod tip just a little sweep and it will set perfect every time.

TJS209

it's more of a summer time deal when the weather gets hot and slow??? I've been wanting to buy a relatively nice not too expensive spinning rod and reel set for drop shot. I have a few spinning rods and reels but nothing with the back bone for drop shot anyone got any suggestions?

rutnstrut2

last year was the first year for me to use this but had a good time doing it. I used a 1/4 to 3/8 drop shot weight any circle hook I used Gamakatsu small I think size 4 will have to check. what I have learned from research onhow to tie the hook is tie it with a common over hand knot to keep in place take the line back through the eye so the hook sticks stright out from the line and leave about 18 to 24 inches and with the dropshot weight you just pull the line up to sinch in place this helps out in deep water with hang ups it pulls out so you dont have to re-tie with every hang up the bait I used was gulp alive minnows first cast when I was tring in a tournie cought a 4 lb cat! it works just have to get your own thing going on how to work it or how to use it. Good luck!

Crosshairy

I fished with that method a lot last year, particular when sight fishing for bass cruising the shallows and/or during the spawn.

I always just used a medium or large split shot - never bought any specific "drop shot weights". You could also beef up the weight to a regular drop sinker if fishing in current.

I recommend tying a little overhand knot at the tag end of the line, and putting the split shot above that. If you don't, you are guaranteed to lose the weight on the first tiny snag you hit.

I generally fish drop shot rigs in relatively clear water, and use green pumpkinseed 6" worms rigged with the hook going in about 1/3 of the way down the body (but still weedless). If you are sure you're free of obstructions, you might want to try leaving the hook exposed - "wacky" style.

I generally use about 8" of tag line below my hook for the weight, but you might want to experiment with that.