Dream season!

Bgoodman30

IMG_4598.jpeg
IMG_4581.JPEG
IMG_4558.jpeg

Epic Tennessee season. Son and I both tagged out. Finished up today Monday on an unbelievable hunt. I remember reading a post yesterday that someone didn't want to tag out unless it was a hunt of a lifetime and I had that in the back of my head. This morning was one of those hunts.. I thought I boogered one getting too close to the roost. On the next setup had a screamer blow by my up the hill and went silent. Around 7:30 after 45 minutes of uncomfortable silence I heard some drumming. I didn't think too much of it because believe it or not if I am around turkeys I can usually hear them drumming even from far off. I have trouble judging the location or distance of it though. Sure enough 5 mins later PUTT look over and there is a red head in the narrow wood lot with me... He putts off spooked... Look behind me and there's another turkey and its a longbeard and he's at 30 yards giving me the ol evil eye... Then another LB moves into view. The tree line is crowded with privet and branches and no possible shot.. After a good western stare down finally they calm down and start feeding. Then the other gobbles. After their disappointment that she doesn't appear the gobbling amps up and they began strutting to my left right behind me as I am snaked around the tree. These 2 birds began to strut all the way to 9 yards peeking in the woods hollering at me.. This goes on for an hour and a half. Every gobble thrown at me at that distance sends me in to the unvoluntary shakes.. Finally they begin to strut back to the right where I have a 2 foot clearing. Strutter moves into clearing. Yelp yelp. Does an about face. Yelp yelp. Head raises higher higher.. Boom 24 yards rolled. TN season done on a beautiful morning at 9am.

Sunday- Different farm turkeys on absolute fire. 4 gobblers Just losing it. I move into position above them on ridge and start tree yelps and hear 4-5 hens between me and the gobbler. I knew this was next to impossible task. I hear gobblers hit the ground and I lay it on them. Some of the loudest hardwood gobbling I ever heard. I thought I was Matt Van Cise because this bird is running down my gun barrel past these hens. A hen appears to my right and I thought perfect if she doesn't see me its on. Well she doesn't and goes right toward gobbler that is now close to 50 and gone down the hill.. After some cat and mouse with henned up gobblers and rapidly intensifying winds I head out to the truck for lunch. Head back in at 12:30 towards some draws and ridges on lee side of wind. Pull out the trusty box because its blowing 20 plus. Figured this day was done.. First set thought I heard a faint gobble move closer. First call boom he answers in the hollar below. Give him a few more yelps and nothing. Wait 20 mins no gobbles and a few more yelps. About 10 minutes later they appear 3 long beards up the ridge. Somehow all get behind the same tree at the same time so I can reposition my gun. He clears boom tag one, great hunt.

Saturday- Ol buddy's phone broke alarm didn't go off. Arrives at 6:30 (not the first time),,..as I wait impatiently as the gobbles vanish in the fog.. Strike one at 7:30 and he's at 150. Gobbles again at 50. I try to get my buddy's attention whose gun is in his lap. "Get ready"! He try's to make another call "No your gun!" He appears at 40 yards and I am having a conniption trying to get my friends attention without spooking the gobbler. Finally at 15 steps the bird gets in his view.. Gun still in his lap.. I have my gun ready to put one on him but didn't want to shoot over my buddy. Gobbler exits stage right..

The hunting has just been unbelievable this year. It almost feels like the good ol days because there are certainly more gobblers around then have been in the last several years. I almost don't want to admit but I am kind of liking the late start because its the way turkey hunting should be when birds finish off their hens around 9-10am and not 1-2PM. or not at all.

I hate for it to be over so soon but its better for me and my son.. Lord knows I have had seasons where I am getting whupped and it takes a toll on my family and work life.. Anyways thanks for listening good luck to my fellow turkey hunters out there.

PalsPal

These 2 birds began to strut all the way to 9 yards peeking in the woods hollering at me.. This goes on for an hour and a half. Every gobble thrown at me at that distance sends me in to the unvoluntary shakes..

You have way more patience than me. Not sure what I would have done, but there's no way I could have sat still that long without trying to get a shot.

Congrats!

Bgoodman30

You have way more patience than me. Not sure what I would have done, but there's no way I could have sat still that long without trying to get a shot.

Congrats!

Yeah even with all the boneheaded mistakes I've made through the years I can say being patient and being able to hear drumming has killed me a pile of turkeys…. Had the same experience a number of years ago on the same farm. Told my buddy they were right behind us drumming and to be still. He couldn't hear them…This went on for around 3 hours. Finally at 1 PM he threw his hands up and motioned he was leaving. I said hold on and snaked around the tree and popped one at 30 yards. Told ya ! lol. They were hung up on an old fence.

I'm telling you I had no shot for that long. Couldn't believe they couldn't see me. I believe the slight wind blowing on my leafy suit really helped. Having gobbles at that distance was really exhilarating to say the least. Also I knew I only had one tag and plenty of time so I wanted it to be right!

Latest posts