Double or Single Reed Calls?

Spoonbillmallard

Well man it really just depends on a few things which call fits a person better. 1. It all depends on how you were taught to call. Most people are called "grunters" where they bring their air out of the gut and kinda grunt throught the call. These type guys are better suited to a single reed call. Only because they tend to not be able to get soft on a double reed call because they cause so much reed vibration with the amount of voice they put into the call. But if you was taught to "whistle" into the call you are really suited to call with a double reed. A double reed design causes more reed vibration while taking less voice to work. 2. It also depends on what hunting situations you intend on using the call for. Single reeds tend to be a little louder than double reeds so they are better suited for lake or open water hunting. But if you know how to blow it you can be just as soft on a single reed as you can on a double reed. But double reeds are just the opposite. They are used for up close calling like timber hunting or small field hunting. But in all reality you can use any call under any hunting situation as long as you know how to use it ha ha!

But to ultimately answer your question I really think for a beginner duck caller it is a lot easier to learn with a single reed call than anything. Single reed calls use less air to blow and require less in order to make a duck sound. I know many who would disagree but that is my opinion for the beginner duck caller. But for an experianced duck caller like myself a double reed duck call will give you the most versatile sound, while being able to get loud and reach those high birds, and in the same sequence get really soft to finish those birds all the way to the water.

And I apologize for being long winded....I really like talking duck calls ha ha! But I hope some of this info was helpful to you.

JThuntsalot

I have been a single reed man for 15 years. That is what I learned on and blown all my life. That was until this year. I got one of the new Buck Gardner Reactor. It is one sweet call and while I can't get as many tones out of it as a single reed i can make it sing.

If you are wanting a quick fix get a double reed and learn the basics. Then move on to a single and when you master a single reed. You will be able to sing to them on a double.

Also calling is kinda like being perfeciate with a bow. Just don't pick it up a week before season and expect to be awesome. I blow my calls year round and my single reed calls I keep the reeds and corks in good shape on them.

tickweed

A double sounds great, like riding a bike with training wheels, learn the single, you can then blow any of them. A single is much less forgiving, takes greater air control.

spitndrum

Spoonbillmallard said:
Well man it really just depends on a few things which call fits a person better. 1. It all depends on how you were taught to call. Most people are called "grunters" where they bring their air out of the gut and kinda grunt throught the call. These type guys are better suited to a single reed call. Only because they tend to not be able to get soft on a double reed call because they cause so much reed vibration with the amount of voice they put into the call. But if you was taught to "whistle" into the call you are really suited to call with a double reed. A double reed design causes more reed vibration while taking less voice to work. 2. It also depends on what hunting situations you intend on using the call for. Single reeds tend to be a little louder than double reeds so they are better suited for lake or open water hunting. But if you know how to blow it you can be just as soft on a single reed as you can on a double reed. But double reeds are just the opposite. They are used for up close calling like timber hunting or small field hunting. But in all reality you can use any call under any hunting situation as long as you know how to use it ha ha!

But to ultimately answer your question I really think for a beginner duck caller it is a lot easier to learn with a single reed call than anything. Single reed calls use less air to blow and require less in order to make a duck sound. I know many who would disagree but that is my opinion for the beginner duck caller. But for an experianced duck caller like myself a double reed duck call will give you the most versatile sound, while being able to get loud and reach those high birds, and in the same sequence get really soft to finish those birds all the way to the water.

And I apologize for being long winded....I really like talking duck calls ha ha! But I hope some of this info was helpful to you.

You sound like you know your stuff, I always taught myself the grunt type calling, thats How I call crows too it sounds better if you ask me, if someone just puts the lips on it and blows air through it its not as hearty if you ask me.

jb3

I hunt with a guy on Reelfoot that uses old Johnny Marsh calls. He's been offered $500 a piece for them, but just shakes his head no. He can work'em pretty good as well.

Bullfrog

You're definitely getting more "duck" out of a double, but there are some single reed boys out there that do it as well. While a single isn't going to take as much air to get a sound, it is normally less forgiving. In either situation, its all about air control. I'd start off with something like a Haydel DR85, if I were just starting to get into it. Buy a dvd or listen to a buddy and have him run you through the ropes.

Latest posts