Dogs running deer

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I know a guy who shoots EVERY dog he sees on his place.
If you hunt there he will tell you to do the same.

Also, he would make meatballs and add a chemical of some kind that used to be used in cotton farming. I can't remember the name of it.
Temican or something like that.
He would drive down his road and toss them out.
They would be dead within 15 yards of where the meatball was.

Definite hard core right there.

OutdoorJunkie

Update. These dogs are becoming a serious problem and seem to continuously be running deer every day. The two days I have hunted so far I have not seen them but heard them both days. Looking like it's going to be a rough year for me unfortunately.

Attachments

• 57BC0923-4251-4321-A90B-5D2A954E6FB9.jpeg
    57BC0923-4251-4321-A90B-5D2A954E6FB9.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 13543290-837C-495C-87DA-CC58C19767B8.jpeg
    13543290-837C-495C-87DA-CC58C19767B8.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 80

Grill-n-man

What you got is a problem that is becoming as normal as trespassing. Used to a talk with the owner would be enough but not in today's world of entitlement. First them ain't hunting dogs owned by a hunter. A real hunter with real hunting dogs would never let them just run free. A lot of time, work, and money go into building a hunting dog and no real hunter just lets that loose. Also they ain't part of no family. First they is animals not humans and good families just don't let kin run wild. Also them and their owners are criminals as Tennessee has a lease law which they are not upholding to. Second they are trespassing also a criminal offense. Third if they are destroying property also a criminal offense. Fourth if they are running deer that's also illegal. Fifth if they are being let to run loose to intentionally disturb your hunt that's hunter harassment which is also illegal. What you got there ain't hunting dogs owned by real hunters nor family members but plain ole mutts left to run free and jack up what ain't theirs by some jack wagon that thinks they entitled. My suggestion is to contact law enforcement and get a paper trail going and try to stop the problem the grown up way. If that don't work then ? I just hope you don't get attacked and have to defend yourself with deadly force which in turn would require a call to the police to inform them of such an attack. That would in turn lead to the arrest and possible conviction of owner for allowing an unruly and aggressive animal to run free, she violation of Tennessee law. Which in turn may lead to a civil court case which in turn may result in the court awarding the victim some serious $$$. Just saying

OutdoorJunkie

That's kind of
What you got is a problem that is becoming as normal as trespassing. Used to a talk with the owner would be enough but not in today's world of entitlement. First them ain't hunting dogs owned by a hunter. A real hunter with real hunting dogs would never let them just run free. A lot of time, work, and money go into building a hunting dog and no real hunter just lets that loose. Also they ain't part of no family. First they is animals not humans and good families just don't let kin run wild. Also them and their owners are criminals as Tennessee has a lease law which they are not upholding to. Second they are trespassing also a criminal offense. Third if they are destroying property also a criminal offense. Fourth if they are running deer that's also illegal. Fifth if they are being let to run loose to intentionally disturb your hunt that's hunter harassment which is also illegal. What you got there ain't hunting dogs owned by real hunters nor family members but plain ole mutts left to run free and jack up what ain't theirs by some jack wagon that thinks they entitled. My suggestion is to contact law enforcement and get a paper trail going and try to stop the problem the grown up way. If that don't work then ? I just hope you don't get attacked and have to defend yourself with deadly force which in turn would require a call to the police to inform them of such an attack. That would in turn lead to the arrest and possible conviction of owner for allowing an unruly and aggressive animal to run free, she violation of Tennessee law. Which in turn may lead to a civil court case which in turn may result in the court awarding the victim some serious $$$. Just saying
I'm on the same page with you. At this point all I have to say is those dogs are not anyones pets and I might just have to treat them as if they are a coyote when the come out in front of me. This is my favorite time of the year and more than anything I enjoy peace and quiet in the woods and it's hard to get that with those thing running rampant.

Swampster

Have you just shot over their head? Mine are gun shy, so if they go down into the wooded areas, I go back there and fire a couple of rounds. They stay near the house for some time after that. I try to keep them penned during the season. They are always penned if I am not home. I will say, if they left the reservation, I wouldn't really blame you if you shot one of mine. Frustrates me as well when you have 200 acres, are half mile off the road, and they leave the property. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

Duck dogn

It really upsets me, I have 3 labs they yugo in my yard only. Or at the boat ramp at 3 am lol but anyway I had the same problem u have now but undoubtedly the neighbors put them up haven't seen them in a while.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤫

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Went hunting the past two mornings and had a dog from a neighboring property that was running deer and barking the whole morning. Was not a very good two mornings to say the least. How would you all go about that problem?
Love to have dogs running the woods. Surprising how many deer I have see just ahead of the dog and how many I have seen not long after they run one through.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
I know a guy who shoots EVERY dog he sees on his place.
If you hunt there he will tell you to do the same.

Also, he would make meatballs and add a chemical of some kind that used to be used in cotton farming. I can't remember the name of it.
Temican or something like that.
He would drive down his road and toss them out.
They would be dead within 15 yards of where the meatball was.

Definite hard core right there.
I understand that it is on his place so he shoots them. That's not good but that is the way it goes. But that said it sounds like the individual needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if possible. May piss people off but that is my 2 cents.

Carlos

Type up a quick note, that says, "Keep this dog at home or it's going to disappear. It's deer season." Tape both sides of it with packing tape for durability.
Also pickup a can of inverted blaze orange spray paint
Then catch the dogs, secure the note with a zip tie, rolled up around the collar. Be sure it's visible, but tucked in well enough so that it stays. Then paint an orange streak straight down their back with the orange spray paint.

After that, I can't recommend anything else.

This way you warn the owners anonymously, and let them know what's happening. If they don't listen it's on them whatever may happen.

(Wish you didn't have to deal with it.)

gary66

Went hunting the past two mornings and had a dog from a neighboring property that was running deer and barking the whole morning. Was not a very good two mornings to say the least. How would you all go about that problem?
hate the barking although it does tell me where they are, sometimes it helps.

If I was a dog I'd want to run deer, they don't bother me. And...I don't really like dogs, don't dislike them, just have no desire to own them.

Sadly, everyone else in the family doesn't feel the same and owning them has gotten a lot more complicated thanks to all the dog worshipers and their incessant micro managing of every aspect of their existence. Dogs can't even be dogs anymore.

Levee Jumper

If you thought you would even consider shooting them to solve your problem, you shouldn't have posted the pics on here IMO

Steverino

There are some strays in my area. Ive seen them while up in the stand on my property and I watched them and waited to see what they'd do. They just wandered through then left the area - shortly after a 6 pointer showed up coming down a hill the dogs had run up probably 15 minutes prior. I put that buck in my freezer. My dog was a stray but she has figured out my border lines and stays within them - a couple of past mistakes leaving them and was promptly talked to - since then she's been good. She has run deer but only off her yard then she breaks off the chase. I'm working on that too with actually some success. I don't want a deer dog or bird dog - just what she was bred to be a working guard dog.

I don't see too many strays but if it got to be a problem and I could get them ID'd . I'd talk to the owner first and if it happened again he'd be visited by TWRA.

Latest posts