Barking Dogs and Deer

WilcoKen

I live on 20 acres and a big reason I bought the place 13 years ago was to hunt it. I've killed some nice bucks right out my back door. Its been nice. Until this year. New neighbor moved in and what does she do but get 4 dogs and tie them up out back. 50 yards to the right of my shoot house. These dogs bark constantly. Now I rarely see deer in my plot except on camera in middle if the night. I've wondered if deer get used to the barking. I dont think the mature bucks tolerate it. If nothing else, it is tiring to hunt in my shoot house because they never. Shut. Up.

Oh and her teenage boys like to do the Daytona 500 in trucks around the house during prime time hunting some afternoons--while the dogs bark. Neighbors suck. She aint going anywhere either--the place was given to her. Bad neighbors is a curse Ive had at all 3 houses Ive owned.

JCDEERMAN

My head would explode. We have new neighbors that moved in a couple months ago. Their dogs bark at EVERYTHING. And when they start, the will go a good 30-45 minutes. I can't walk out on my patio to light the grill without them yappin. I can't walk down my front sidewalk without them yappin. If I sneak out to my truck on the other side of the house and they hear me shut my door, they start yappin. A barking dog really is annoying. And the worst part is, the owners don't do anything, even when it's late at night. If I had to hunt and listen to that, I'd lose a gasket.

WilcoKen

They do get used to it. People on top of the hill at the edge of my property have dogs, either fenced or tied up, and I can usually gauge the timing of the deer by when they start barking up there. ;)
These dogs bark when someone comes outside. They are starving for attention. Im watching one right now thats tied to a tree. He's pulling against the rope trying to get free. I mean why have a dog of you are going to tie it up to a tree its whole life?

rem270

We have a fenced in yard and the dogs go crazy if they see a deer within 100 yards. Apparently they have gotten used to it because it doesn't bother the deer at all. 2 weeks ago I see a buck locked up on a doe from my stand between where I was sitting and the house. They moved up into the grown up stuff and I knew they either bedded down or went across the road. A little later I left the house and as I was backing out the same 2 deer were standing 40 yards from my fence not bothered at all by the dogs.

I'm sure it's different if they are tied up though.

WilcoKen

My head would explode. We have new neighbors that moved in a couple months ago. Their dogs bark at EVERYTHING. And when they start, the will go a good 30-45 minutes. I can't walk out on my patio to light the grill without them yappin. I can't walk down my front sidewalk without them yappin. If I sneak out to my truck on the other side of the house and they hear me shut my door, they start yappin. A barking dog really is annoying. And the worst part is, the owners don't do anything, even when it's late at night. If I had to hunt and listen to that, I'd lose a gasket.
I feel your pain--believe me. Inconsiderate butt holes is what people are.

WilcoKen

We have a fenced in yard and the dogs go crazy if they see a deer within 100 yards. Apparently they have gotten used to it because it doesn't bother the deer at all. 2 weeks ago I see a buck locked up on a doe from my stand between where I was sitting and the house. They moved up into the grown up stuff and I knew they either bedded down or went across the road. A little later I left the house and as I was backing out the same 2 deer were standing 40 yards from my fence not bothered at all by the dogs.

I'm sure it's different if they are tied up though.
Thankfully the dogs cant see my field and the deer cant see the dogs. They are below my spot. But both the deer and me can absolutely hear them.

rem270

Thankfully the dogs cant see my field and the deer cant see the dogs. They are below my spot. But both the deer and me can absolutely hear them.
Yeah that would be annoying as crap. When we bought our place there were renters living beside us. They had 2 pit bulls they let run free and everyone hated them around a mile radius. Every night you could hear them pull up from work and minutes later my camera would start going off behind my house of those stupid dogs. Glad I don't have that issue anymore.

Hduke86

Get you a couple of Dog Silencer Max units and they run off batteries. They are advertised to go off from 300' away when barking is detected. Sends an ultrasonic high pitched frequency. I've got a buddy that is looking into a stronger speaker that can be added to it as a diy thing just to make sure the dogs hear it LOUD to them

WilcoKen

Get you a couple of Dog Silencer Max units and they run off batteries. They are advertised to go off from 300' away when barking is detected. Sends an ultrasonic high pitched frequency. I've got a buddy that is looking into a stronger speaker that can be added to it as a diy thing just to make sure the dogs hear it LOUD to them
I will check this out!

backyardtndeer

I feel your pain. I have had to deal with barking dogs before and it can be extremely annoying. I have watched deer while dogs were barking though and it did catch their attention but never really noticed barking putting them on high alert.

As far as neighbor's, I don't consider what I have on either side of me as neighbors. They are definitely not neighborly.

MUP

That might affect the deer tho? 😬

Latest posts