Doe killing spree and bonus buck

RS

It's been one of those seasons where life gets in the way of hunting. Between the kids ball and cheer activities on the weekends and having a bad case of the flu at Thanksgiving that still lingers with a bad cough, I had not even hunted in TN until this week. I did get to go on my annual KS bow hunt in early November though.

I had some leave I needed to use, and my oldest daughter didn't have to work this week, so we took off down to the farm on Monday to hopefully kill a few does (we have way too many this year).

We each killed 3 does Monday. My cameras showed a couple of decent bucks using a couple of plots in the evenings, so we had decided to hold off on shooting does Tuesday evening until last light in case a buck came out that she wanted to shoot. The plot had 14 does, fawns, and a couple of small bucks in it when a buck stepped out that got her heart pumping, so I told her to take it if she wanted. She made a good shot and he didn't go far.

Wednesday evening, she killed two more does. I was tired of gutting deer, and I was ready to get back home.

I was really surprised at the amount of fat in all the deer. I figured with the terrible drought we had at the farm this summer and complete mast crop failure, they would not be in such good shape. They have eaten the plots down pretty good, so I hope the rest of the winter isn't too harsh.

I'm sure we could have killed some more if we hunted separately. My daughter is 22, and has killed a lot of deer over the years, but she still wants to hunt with me. I will enjoy it while it lasts because I know sooner rather than later she'll have her own family and probably not get to hunt with me like she does now.

We donated all the deer to Hunters for the Hungry.

C8ECCE6C-9B3B-4895-B08F-805DDCFB1771.jpeg
8F1EB6D2-DF11-4364-B48C-68F7AC63BA88.jpeg
93E56591-AADA-463D-84B8-98603A3B1C68.jpeg
83FAAEB1-4D36-4866-9FDF-1AA39618A2D6.jpeg

Cheshire

It's been one of those seasons where life gets in the way of hunting. Between the kids ball and cheer activities on the weekends and having a bad case of the flu at Thanksgiving that still lingers with a bad cough, I had not even hunted in TN until this week. I did get to go on my annual KS bow hunt in early November though.

I had some leave I needed to use, and my oldest daughter didn't have to work this week, so we took off down to the farm on Monday to hopefully kill a few does (we have way too many this year).

We each killed 3 does Monday. My cameras showed a couple of decent bucks using a couple of plots in the evenings, so we had decided to hold off on shooting does Tuesday evening until last light in case a buck came out that she wanted to shoot. The plot had 14 does, fawns, and a couple of small bucks in it when a buck stepped out that got her heart pumping, so I told her to take it if she wanted. She made a good shot and he didn't go far.

Wednesday evening, she killed two more does. I was tired of gutting deer, and I was ready to get back home.

I was really surprised at the amount of fat in all the deer. I figured with the terrible drought we had at the farm this summer and complete mast crop failure, they would not be in such good shape. They have eaten the plots down pretty good, so I hope the rest of the winter isn't too harsh.

I'm sure we could have killed some more if we hunted separately. My daughter is 22, and has killed a lot of deer over the years, but she still wants to hunt with me. I will enjoy it while it lasts because I know sooner rather than later she'll have her own family and probably not get to hunt with me like she does now.

We donated all the deer to Hunters for the Hungry.

View attachment 162256View attachment 162257View attachment 162258View attachment 162261
Congratulations, I wish I could get one of my daughters interested in hunting, consider yourself blessed

muddyboots

Awesome! Actually made me tear up a little. My oldest daughter is 14. She has hunted with me since she was 6 and has killed one or 2 bucks until this year. Between basketball, softball, school dances, friends, strep throat, flu, and oral surgery she has gotten to go 1 time this year. I don't know if she will get to kill one this year. I was just wondering how long she will want to hunt with me???? 22 sounds awesome. I'll take it!! Congrats to u!

Latest posts