Deer vision article

woodsman04

I agree with it. But the blue Jean comment was misspoken I think. You could wear blue jeans, a denim jacket, a blaze orange vest and hat, and all the deer would see color wise is blues and yellows if I ain't mistaken.

It's about breaking up your outline and movement. It's easier to bow hunt for me now because I have the leaves on the trees behind me and above me, and of course sometimes in front. In December it's wide open to the front, around, and above. So they can skyline you easier.

I've tried to experiment with climbers by sometimes not climbing so high. Just 12' or so so that I'm still low enough to be "under" some of the other trees behind or above if that makes sense. I've noticed that if your still and have a pretty good back ground they won't pick you out as easily.
I will also climb more towards the bottom of a hill rather than the top so I'll have more back cover. (I also use this for not such steep shot angles with my bow.)

But still, beating their nose is most important. Also remember to be quiet. I've hunted with others that act like they are trying to be quiet, but in reality a deer can hear them from a long ways off. Especially before daylight.

Ski

I have found that I can get away with a little more motion at twilight, as long as slow of course. I get that they have an advantage on us but too many times for coincidence I have been able to move to shooting position when they would have caught me 30 minutes earlier.

I know there is a major color change the last hour of visible light because I have to take off my glasses which have a coating that screws up my vision at those times. I think at dusk there is a frequency change toward red fairly often which may be a brief disadvantage to them.

I almost exclusively hunt in terrain/hills so MY shooting hours end before the legal end since trees/terrain are blocking the suns last rays. Once I see/feel that light shift, I no longer wait for eyes to go behind tree/bush, just slowly move.

Anyone else noticed this.

Yes I've noticed the exact same thing, and always thought it was odd because supposedly they see well in dim light like twilight. I get by with so much more in dim light or darkness than I can in bright daylight.

Bwales95

Thanks for sharing. Very good write-up on a topic I've been curious about. I also don't think I've ever heard of the NDA, or maybe just never paid attention to their studies. I just went down a rabbit hole on their youtube channel where they have some really good content.

Headhunter

pics of bowkills with blue jeans. The polaroid was a kill from the ground from a distance of a few feet, he was in full rut and "looking for women" for sure. My daughter was way more interested in the chocolate covered peanuts than she was the deer.

Wish I still had that grey shirt. Both bucks were ground kills with that shirt were bowkills from the ground and the jeans and shirt were my "camo" on those days.

Attachments

• 11 pointer.jpg
    11 pointer.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 25
  • deer1999.JPG
    deer1999.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 7 point.jpg
    7 point.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1092.jpg
    100_1092.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 100lbdoe.jpg
    100lbdoe.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 22
  • bowkill from the ground.jpg
    bowkill from the ground.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 20

Headhunter

Very interesting. I think remaining motionless is more important than color. As long as they can't make out the shape and it's not moving, they might see it but it's no threat. I'm constantly moving unless a deer is close.
Fairchaser, agreed, I have always believed deer saw movement way before they see color.

Latest posts