Deer survey

squackattack

55CC1D61-2E53-48E8-9DE2-68BA11B81433.jpeg
I just completed a camera deer survey (14 day nda) and this buck was one of my unique bucks and I looked at the post by BSK on deer age and I am amazed that body size versus the rack. I feel it is a 3 1/2 year, but am new to the whole process of trying to age deer. The survey really just made more questions than answers. A lot of fun though.

DeerCamp

View attachment 113860I just completed a camera deer survey (14 day nda) and this buck was one of my unique bucks and I looked at the post by BSK on deer age and I am amazed that body size versus the rack. I feel it is a 3 1/2 year, but am new to the whole process of trying to age deer. The survey really just made more questions than answers. A lot of fun though.
Still super hard to body age this time of the year. Looks like that deer may still be in velvet?

Wouldn't surprise me if this buck clearly leans into an age group better in about 6 weeks.

BSK

Yup, 3 1/2.

But that buck is a perfect example of why you can't use antlers to age bucks. Once you compile a census of enough unique bucks from a given area, you will find that each age-class of buck older than yearlings will have a MASSIVE bell-curve distribution of scores. In most long-term censuses I've done in the Southeast, I usually find every age-class has a score spread of over 100 gross inches, and every age-class overlaps heavily with every other age-class. In fact, I will usually find the the largest yearling buck scores higher than the smallest mature buck.

TheLBLman

Yup, 3 1/2.

In fact, I will usually find the the largest yearling buck scores higher than the smallest mature buck.
Very true.
And in even moderantly hunted areas, I'm finding the average hunter killed buck aged at 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 typically outscores 5 1/2's, not because 5 1/2's don't typically score higher, but hunters kill those most capable of becoming gigantic antlered 5 1/2's, mostly when bucks with that potential are only 2 1/2 to 3 1/2.

And, the same hunters repeatedly give pass to below average antlered 2 1/2 & 3 1/2's,
which in turn become the surviving bucks living to maturity.

That said, rare is the case that a 120-class antlered mature buck is not extremely more impressive (due to its score usually coming more from mass than tine lenghth) than a 120-class young buck (which gets its score mainly from tine length while lacking mass).

BSK

That said, rare is the case that a 120-class antlered mature buck is not extremely more impressive (due to its score usually coming more from mass than tine lenghth) than a 120-class young buck (which gets its score mainly from tine length while lacking mass).
Very much agree.

TheLBLman

As others have noted, this time of year (early Sept. for the pic) is not a good time for accurately aging a buck's age.

But imo, this above buck looks more like 4 1/2 than 3 1/2.

Just ignore the relatively small antlers in your assessment.
Then note how the chest kinda blends into his neck,
much like would be expected with a 4 1/2 yr-old in late October.

squackattack

Thanks y'all, I had a feeling he was an older buck. The neat thing is he was fairly camera shy. Compared to the other bucks/deer he just did not show up much.

Latest posts