Do deer actually eat these?

Swampster

I have about 400 sawtooth oaks that are near twenty years old. They drop piles of acorns like this, but I never see any signs (tracks) to indicate that the deer pay any interest in them. I will see an occasional squirrel. I've already seen some rubs on small sycamores so I know that deer visit the area. Being in bottom lands I figure they likely will go bad fairly quickly. Do any of you experience something different with sawtooths?
sawtooths.JPG

BSK

Yes, they eat them, but primarily early in acorn drop. Sawtooths are usually one of the first acorns to fall, which draws deer. But once white oak acorns begin to fall, most of the action switches to that species.

jejeffrries71

I went for a walk in Natchez Trace yesterday and saw areas on the gravel roads that almost looked that covered with acorns. I guess that if there are areas with that much mast there will be some that never get touched.

Swampster

Note that I originally posted this in mid-October. By later November, I started finding tracks, droppings, and the leaves disturbed which makes me think maybe the deer turned to the sawtooth after whatever else they were eating ran out. I know that the squirrels also account for some of the disturbance.

Latest posts