Deer harvest down...really TWRA? So give us a velvet hunt?

megalomaniac

Re: Deer harvest down...really TWRA? So give us a velvet hu

it's always the weather when the kill is down. It doesn't matter what the weather is when the kill is stable or rising... we could have TN's first hurricane in November and if the kill was up, the weather wouldn't even be thought about. Same thing with acorn crop... Kill is down, not enough acorns, kill is down, too many acorns. It cracks me up.

I admit, this was a curveball I didn't anticipate. I'm about as against archery hunting as anyone when it comes to killing mature bucks. So much so, that I forbid it on my properties. Previously, I firmly believed that archery hunting does more harm than good (pressure deer with an extremely low chance of actually encountering a mature buck). I want the deer completely unpressured until the prerut starts, around Nov 10th, when we waltz in and smoke the the old bucks when they are moving in daylight. But this hunt is different.... the mature bucks are still active during daylight hours on their predictable summer patterns and in bachelor groups. And added to that, it's early enough in the season where hunting pressure that weekend won't affect the quality of the prerut/ rut hunts 6 weeks later. The only downside is that my wife is going to be pissed. Another TN trip :)

usanglure

I'm excited about the Velvet Hunt, Great hunting time for the bachelor group bucks, Great time to Shoot a great buck. Hot Weather or not we are out there doing field work, and stand work. It will be nice to see out of state dollars coming to Tennessee too.
As far as deer harvest being down there is always multiple issues, Weather on opening Weekends is definitely a Big Factor, Hairline rule was a big factor at our club too and i'm sure it affected state wide too. But I still enjoyed every minute out in the woods and will this year too.

DRSJ35

Isn't he velvet gonna be ruined by the time the taxidermist get's it.And won't the taxidermist have to put fake velvet on the horns.?

gobblinfool

Andy S brings up a good point......will the deer processors be ready? I remember 2 years ago I shot a doe opening weekend of KY....only to find out there weren't any processors open yet. That is on me.

I hunt TN as a resident, KY as a non resident. I go to KY for the chance to shoot a stud in velvet.....though I must admit, it would be a challenge getting the buck out without damaging the velvet.....so really I am there at a chance of getting a buck that is a stud on normal feeding patterns. I typically don't hunt KY after opening weekend and treat Ky rifle like it is Christmas day as a kid.

If my trail cameras show me that the bachelor group is by my tree stand in august like it was last year at sunset.....why wouldn't I go out?

280longshot

Deer processers being ready is an issue, I experienced that last year... plan ahead.
I'm on the same page as Andy, I'm not shooting just any deer in velvet... but that's just me.
Bow hunting in the heat just doesn't appeal to me anymore... so it really doesn't impact me.

Oak

2-Step Enabled

kentuckylakebuck":1m4z43p8 said:
AGAIN, deer harvest numbers are down due to DEPREDATION PERMITS, not weather or less hunters or any other manufactured twra excuses, the insurance companies sway twra to write depredation permits and keep liberal limits, thus keeping the population down! thats the reason for low harvest numbers, not the weather!

I will agree with this to some extent, even though it may be localized somewhat to farming communities. I have a nephew who farms on the side and they have pretty much wiped out the deer population in their area. I know deer can do damage, but it's gotten to the point to where they shoot whatever and whenever they see one. I've tried to encourage him to lease his land for deer hunting, but he says that hunters do not take enough deer and only want to shoot bucks.

I know there is a fine line between livelihood and wildlife management that most likely will never be solved, at least not until hunters and farmers can come together.

BTW - I appreciate all the farmers who provide food and work hard for a living.

Bone Collector

280longshot":1u64myuw said:
Deer processers being ready is an issue, I experienced that last year... plan ahead.
I'm on the same page as Andy, I'm not shooting just any deer in velvet... but that's just me.
Bow hunting in the heat just doesn't appeal to me anymore... so it really doesn't impact me.

One more thing I won't be worried about as I butcher my own. I can see how that could impact others, so if I didn't do my own, I would be calling around.

TheLBLman

Bone Collector":3nil19rd said:
One more thing I won't be worried about as I butcher my own.
Even if you butcher your own, the hot weather can be a concern,
especially considering it's often many hours after an arrow is released before that deer is "out of the woods".
Then, there is the distance between your hunting area and where you're processing.

IMO, most should be carrying a large enough pre-iced cooler to hold a quartered deer, including it's head & antlers.
This is generally a 180-qt or larger cooler.
I have a very old "cheap one" just for this purpose, even for warm days in October & November.
As would not recommend leaving a large Yeti in your truck!

Bone Collector

TheLBLman":23ktmoti said:
Bone Collector":23ktmoti said:
One more thing I won't be worried about as I butcher my own.
Even if you butcher your own, the hot weather can be a concern,
especially considering it's often many hours after an arrow is released before that deer is "out of the woods".
Then, there is the distance between your hunting area and where you're processing.

IMO, most should be carrying a large enough pre-iced cooler to hold a quartered deer, including it's head & antlers.
This is generally a 180-qt or larger cooler.
I have a very old "cheap one" just for this purpose, even for warm days in October & November.
As would not recommend leaving a large Yeti in your truck!

Again all my comments will be based off my plans. I know this is true for some but where I'm hunting if I shoot one the longest period the deer will sit is after the shot. I can get the deer to a spot I can drive to in a short period of time. It's 20 minutes to the house with several gas stations where I can get ice.

In the morning it should be in the 70s so that is about the same as it is in September, so I think mine will be fine.

I do think folks will need some extra prep and thought before folks head out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackwoodsBoy

I killed a doe in SE N.C. opening day of archery years ago when the high temp was right around 100 that day. Quickly deboned and into the cooler. Shouldn't be too much of an issue if ya plan ahead/hunt close to home.

Seems like an interesting opportunity, man I could capitalize on some bachelor group bucks if they had that here in WV

TX300mag

I'm curious to see if this actually increases NR sales. I don't think it will-most NRs aren't going to come up with land to lease between now and August. As long as KY provides the opportunity, NRs will continue to spend their money there before TN in general. If it were a public land hunt-MAYBE. I have watched the number of NR deer hunters steadily dwindle with the last two license increases.

Grill-n-man

Am I the only one who saw the pod cast where the 3 day August hunt was put into place to allow hunters a better chance to kill a velvet buck? Or am i misunderstanding when the TWRA personal said that was the reasoning for the August hunt? For years all you been hearing is belly aching about bigger bucks, need more opportunities to get after bucks, let's limit this so I can get a big buck, even so far ( and yes on here said by several well known posters) how kids shouldn't have their own time cause it costing you bucks. Well the interior decorators have been asking for years and now you have received it. Yup set forth in ink is the proven fact that commercial trophy hunting is the driving force behind hunting regulations not biological data. Just like it makes no since not to be able to kill an albino deer. Yup here it is again starring us right in the face is political agendas not biological facts being used to determine what's best for the wildlife. Well interior decorators clean a spot off on the wall for ye has cried and the commission has heard and answered. Oh and i wouldn't worry about processors being ready its more like the taxidermist needing to be ready.

Oh and the low harvest due to warm weather. Yeah the rising cost of licensing, declining land access, the emphasis on trophy hunting, the degrading of other hunters kill ( even youth's) , the I own the deer attitudes, and politics have nothing to due with it. Yup it's the weather's fault

gobblesandgrunts

If my cameras show what they do every other year I'm I'm gonna he in that stand. I have great groups of bachelor groups in summer and then they are gone when season opens. Have to admit I got excited to find out i may have a chance at one on my farm that's worth pulling the trigger on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhunter

All the deer processors I know will NOT be open. Not justifiable to open for that short of a time period. I don't use a processor so it wouldn't bother me but for those that do I can see a lot of bucks just having the heads cut off. Not a good idea IMO.

megalomaniac

I don't think anyone is kidding themselves... From the biologists, to the commissioners, to the individual hunters who will participate. This IS strictly a 'trophy' hunt. Whether you consider a 'trophy' a full racked mature velvet buck or a little velvet spike, the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I think that does look a little bad to the general hunting public, but for the most part, deer hunters hunt for the enjoyment of the experience and the kill to take home is just the icing on the cake. Should the meat go to waste? Absolutely not. If there are multiple reports of that happening due to ineptitude of hunters to properly plan to care for their meat in warm weather, I suspect this hunt will be short lived. Most hunters, even 'trophy' hunters frown severely on wasted meat. And the general nonhunting public will go ape if that becomes commonplace.

As far as a biological impact... At first, I wasn't sure if this would have a negative impact on the herd or not... after further consideration, I do not feel it will have any negative impact. I suspect the kill during the 3d weekend will be fairly low (perhaps a tad higher than traditional opening weekend of archery, as the novelty of newness will attract others to participate in a chance to kill a velvet buck). Populations are determined by the number of females, so removing additional males is irrelevent in long term population trends. Furthermore, the limited pressure a full month before archery season opens will minimize stress on the herd itself. Making antlerless deer illegal to kill also removes any chance of killing a doe with fawns too young to survive on their own that time of the year.

knightrider

only thing I don't like is private lands only, just for the fact it puts a lot of hunters on the sideline for this opportunity. all I hunt is private but I feel for those who don't have any yet would like to take a velvet buck, if I can find enough bachelor groups I will try to help some I know out with at least the chance to hunt one.

THEdonkey0515

I'm not really excited about it at all really.

With that being said, I got weekends off, so I will go Saturday, & maybe Sunday. Don't see me hunting the evenings.

I Will probably be wishing I went to the lake instead shortly after the sun pops out and the bugs start to fly.... If I don't enjoy it Saturday morning I may spend the rest of the weekend at the lake.

Who knows maybe we will have a nice overcast day with a few rain drops to keep us cool.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled

I'll be in the stand for sure! Made no since to do it but why let the opportunity go to waste? I am not a trophy hunter by any means but if I see a decent buck that is symmetrical or very unique, he is going on the wall! I'm pumped for it honestly! Had no reason to make a season like this but hey, when life gives you lemons why let them rot!!! Lol

MUP

TDW05":2v4g7ccq said:
I'll be in the stand for sure! Made no since to do it but why let the opportunity go to waste? I am not a trophy hunter by any means but if I see a decent buck that is symmetrical or very unique, he is going on the wall! I'm pumped for it honestly! Had no reason to make a season like this but hey, when life gives you lemons why let them rot!!! Lol

That's the view to have for sure!

Latest posts