Deer & Coyotes

grundsow

Studies show that the % of fawns killed by predators varies *per region*.

So, in a given environment (region), is that PERCENT maintained as the size of the fawn crop varies? Or do predators take a given NUMBER of fawns (in which case the PERCENT would vary)?

boweye91

Re: Deer & Coyotes

It has to vary some but I think it is all about avalibility.

Example:
In a year when there is a low fawn crop predators do not get as many becuase there are less little bambis running around.

On the other hand, If there is an unusually high number of fawns in a given year coyotes and the like will feast because of the high avalibility.

Not sure if that is right it just seams logical in my mind.

BowGuy84

I can think of a lot of variables that could affect this. # or fawns, # of predators, terrain (wooded vs. farm), weather (wetter weather would reduce scent)ect...be interesting to see if BSK or BGG have any actual research to contribute

grundsow

Well, I'm saying in a scenario where # of predators and terrain does NOT change, but number of fawn born does change for whatever reason, what happens?

Say EHD hits a local and reduces deer density, do predators continue to take X number of fawns? Only now X accounts for say 90% instead of 50% of fawns? Or are fawns available over such a short period of time and now harder to find that X accounts for the same 50%, or maybe even less?

Just curious how fast deer herd recovers...

BigGameGuy

You're going to love this answer...I have no idea.

There are so many variables unique to each property that there is no way to predict the percentage of fawns that will be preyed upon in any given year. In fact, all things being equal habitat-wise, you can see tremendous variations temporally (from one year to the next).

The only thing I can tell you that can be of any use is this...habitat, habitat, habitat. If you provide excellent habitat, there is no way coyote predation can wipe out all the fawns. Now keep this in mind, the more one becomes a wildlife manager, and less of a deer manager, the more successful one will become at managing deer. All too often hunters/managers focus on deer and deer alone. They invest hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, to put in food plots to benefit deer but could probably make better use of their money elsewhere or even save that money all together. Instead of planting food plots, they may need/want to manage old fields. Not only will this provide food and cover for deer, but it will also bode well for the small game animals on their property. These animals (rabbits and birds) may provide an alternate food source for the coyotes which may in essence reduce the predation on fawns. If you manage your property well and shoot for high habitat diversity, I don't believe predation will ever be a problem in your area.

Boone 58

Great info. There are alot of variables influencing the results but certainly i would think habitat as bgg said would be the one most important factor. Bumper acorn crops would play into that factor bgg mentions strongly.

RKenney

BigGameGuy,
That's an excellent post. I don't have the biological training
that you have, but that makes alot of COMMON SENSE to me.

Terry Cunningham

Cayotes,

According to Grant Woods Cayotes keep deer under stress, since he is not a good deer hunter he likes to hunt deer not stressed out by cayotes. Evidently BSK did not teach him to hunt deer under stress!

BSK

grundsow said:
No opinions on this BSK?

What BGG said. Highly variable, but the one constant is good fawning cover. Coyotes take the lowest number of fawns in areas with the highest percentage of the land in good security cover. In addition, dramatically fluctuating coyote densities (die-offs from parvo) can cause highly variable fawn loss rates from year to year.

CWT

Yes Biggameguy, that is good info. We have tried to start a wildlife habitat diversity on our property in west tn over the past year. We have tried to do as much as possible for "all" wildlife. I do love to trap after deer season and have friends that trap. We have done some serious trapping of coyotes, coons, foxes and bobcats. Granted there is no way to wipe the coyotes out but, we have seen for sure an increase of our deer and turkey's and we feel we are heading in the right direction with our plan of wildlife diversity and habitat.
Here is what I used for our West Tn property as a guide and have worn the pages off my printout, it was a huge help. >> http://www.state.tn.us/twra/habitatmgmt.html

BSK

BoonerBucks said:
I thought I read somewhere that fawns are born with no scent on them to stay hidden better. I could be wrong.

Coyotes, bobcats, bear and dogs can still find them.

However, I do find it interesting that some research suggests coyotes do not like going into tall-growing warm-season grasses. Another good reason to establish that as cover habitat, especially fawning cover.

Latest posts