Deer cart users?

UpperTully

I always center the deer over the axles of the cart with the head nearest me. Then I take a long ratchet strap and wrap it around the deer and cart to keep the legs and head secure in place.

Be mindful that if you kill a buck you'd like to mount, any rope or strap around the cape will damage the fur off the hide. In this case, I will place a coat or some kind of clothing in place to keep from damaging the cape.

Buzzard Breath

We always go head down. It centers the heaviest portion over axles and there is less weight to hold up with the handle.
20201113_091435.jpg

Andy S.

I think they should make handle extensions that you can add to them. Kinda like a rickshaw.
The hardcore guys I have hunted with that designed/built their own deer carts did this. Long handles that they could literally stand inside of, as well as tall wheels to easily roll over smaller logs and obstructions. They could haul 2-3 deer out on it easily.

Last edited:

rifle02

I've used a cart many times and although they are better than dragging in most cases, they do have some drawbacks. For one, I agree with those who think the handle should be longer because you end up pulling in a bent-over position at least with my cart. The other thing is when you're on a hill there is no such thing as taking a break. If you stop pulling you cannot let go of that cart. It'll head on down the hill! The other thing is going downhill you have the same problem, you cannot take a break you have to hang on the whole time or quickly Jam a rock or stick under one of the wheels. That can get very frustrating. Especially in rough country.

catman529

I've used a cart many times and although they are better than dragging in most cases, they do have some drawbacks. For one, I agree with those who think the handle should be longer because you end up pulling in a bent-over position at least with my cart. The other thing is when you're on a hill there is no such thing as taking a break. If you stop pulling you cannot let go of that cart. It'll head on down the hill! The other thing is going downhill you have the same problem, you cannot take a break you have to hang on the whole time or quickly Jam a rock or stick under one of the wheels. That can get very frustrating. Especially in rough country.
If I have to drag a deer up a hill, I leave the cart at the top of the hill and drag the deer up to the cart

eddie c

I bought a cart on clearance several years ago. Fortunately I've been able to get my 4 wheeler to everything I've shot. I've talked to several guys that quit using them in areas with underbrush or muddy/soft ground.
I have used mine to carry coolers, trolling motor and battery to a boat dock.

dsa5455

When I first started hunting there was a lot of dead falls where I hunted and dragging a deer through this kind of wet marshy area was difficult. I grabbed a two wheeler dolly we had in the basement and strapped that first buck head up. That thing rolled over and flipped sideways on just about every small branch I came to. Bad, bad idea. Later I picked up a cart and did head up most of the time.

Crow Terminator

A cart for me ended up being more work than just dragging it with brute force. The wheels on mine get stuck on every stick, limb, etc and I was constantly having to go around logs, etc too. A half mile drag ends up being longer with a cart because of detours lol. And my deer always find a way to fall off it; needing readjusted.

th88

The Hawk Crawler cart is pretty good. I've tried several, including home made ones, and have settled on this one.

Latest posts