Deer calling

waynesworld

Ok I will start by admitting I have no talent for sounds both making and hearing or recognize them. So first thing does anyone use an electronic call. And or how and when do you use a call? When bl p grunt rattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southernhunter

Re: Deer calling

I have never had any success calling to deer in TN in my 25 years of hunting till this week. I called in a mature buck from 200 to within 70 yards. Only to miss with trad muzzleloader. It was cool to see a mature buck come in on a string. I was simply using a grunt and doe bleat.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled

The buck I killed opening morning came to a grunt. I never call to them unless it's the rut and can see them! Still not 100% guaranteed but it has worked for me 2 times in my life. One running a doe and the last one was searching for a lady hard. Hit them with 2 contact grunts and they came to kick my tail.

tree_ghost

Killed a good one this year by calling. Grunted to get his attention, snort wheeze to close the distance. 18 yard shot

Mike Belt

I don't go to the woods without my grunter... especially this time of year. I've had luck calling deer in for the past 35 years. I'll also call blind which most on here say not to do. I don't understand why. You rattle to unseen bucks so what's the difference calling to unseen bucks. The main trick to calling this way is to remain motionless after calling and particularly when you're hunting thick cover. I've had them come running in but they're more likely to sneak in, stop, and look for the deer grunting. If you're moving and they see you the game's over often without you ever knowing it.

medic

I called in a decent 8 pointer Monday morning with a grunt call went back to the same stand Tuesday morning and was using a hot doe call then grunting several short burst and called a 6 point and a 10 point in at the same time from different directions. I shot the 10 point and the 6 point stayed in front of my stand for 20 minutes before giving up on finding the doe.

SES

I've killed 6 bucks that I wouldn't have killed if I wouldn't have had my grunt tube. I never go in the woods without it.

Grnwing

I use it a lot this time of year. Had a couple bucks come and check it out this past weekend. I am always surprised at how quickly they can find where the sound came from and just appear below me. I rarely have them come running in but often slip around down wind and work up to me.

cbhunter

waynesworld":2rgu4xtg said:
So when blind calling how long do you wait? Thank you all for the help

if and when you blind call, sit perfectly still for 5-10 minutes. They know exactly where it came from and are usually sneaking in and watching

Mike Belt

I'll go along with the 5-10 minutes. It also helps if you think you know where the bucks will come from if they do and be facing that direction. Sometimes your set up and the wind direction help dictate that situation.

During this time frame I also use an estrous doe call in conjunction with a buck grunter. Just for entertainment it's fun to call in younger bucks, let them leave, and call them back in again.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":5p197qcl said:
I don't go to the woods without my grunter... especially this time of year. I've had luck calling deer in for the past 35 years. I'll also call blind which most on here say not to do. I don't understand why. You rattle to unseen bucks so what's the difference calling to unseen bucks. The main trick to calling this way is to remain motionless after calling and particularly when you're hunting thick cover. I've had them come running in but they're more likely to sneak in, stop, and look for the deer grunting. If you're moving and they see you the game's over often without you ever knowing it.

I agree Mike: I grunted in a fairly nice buck, not quite what I wanted but nice, My point is that he came to within 50 yards but you could barely see his motionless outline and he stood statue still for 20 full minutes just staring until pitch dark. Had I not seen him come in I would have never seen him standing there. If I blind call I make sure I can see my downwind side well if something sneaks in.

Bone Collector

cbhunter":13xxqx99 said:
waynesworld":13xxqx99 said:
So when blind calling how long do you wait? Thank you all for the help

if and when you blind call, sit perfectly still for 5-10 minutes. They know exactly where it came from and are usually sneaking in and watching

This is my main reservation with blind calling. I have had deer come in behind me down wind to scent check what made the sound. This year I called to a spike, just because I like to see how deer react. I had seen him and he moved out of sight. As soon as he did, I grunted to him. I was sitting there for like 3-5 minutes and I caught movement to my right in the cedar thicket. My set up did not allow him to comfortably come any lower and therefore he didn't get behind me, but where the stand used to be set up, he would have gotten behind me. It was cool to watch him do it. Now if a spike will do that, you know a mature buck is going to circle down wind to scent check in a lot of instances.

Nsghunter

tree_ghost":9r4n2s4o said:
Killed a good one this year by calling. Grunted to get his attention, snort wheeze to close the distance. 18 yard shot

That was a good story

Publiclndmutt

I call all the time mainly grunting but some doe beats. Killed a buck Nov. 18 this year blind calling. I will rattle through all of the pre-rut with great success and that is all on public ground. I believe alot of the issue people have is they don't have a full understanding of the grunt they are making. I mean you probably don't want to make a tending grunt the 2nd week of October. Luckily I had the pleasure of living in a high deer population state (with mature bucks) for about 15 years and actually had the opportunity to see and hear deer make alot of these vocalizations. There is a time for everything and our tennessee deer have to talk to each other to. Had a small 8 come through Wednesday last week grunting ever step so it does happen. As far as where to learn these vocalizations. Well the only place I have seen that I didn't feel was trying to sell me smoke and mirrors ( they are selling a product by the way) but there calling 101 videos were actually pretty spot on when it came to what I have actually heard in the woods. Is on YouTube and it's the deer society. For me I called repeatedly in the woods here on the Cumberland plateau and never had any luck when I was young. I moved off done some hunting killed some really nice pope and young and 1 Booner came back and the calling really made since and have took most of all the bucks that I have killed since I have been back calling in one way or another. It's a skill worth learning.

Latest posts