December weather in April

cowhunter71

Cold, spitting drizzle didn't bother me much, as I left the house this morning in full, warm rain gear. It was the damm fog that stayed all day up high that sucked. Been cursing the wide open hardwoods all week, but today it was the lack of visibility that killed me. Got tight on one gobbling good on the limb right at daylight. Googans were getting restless down below, trying to figure out how to climb up to him. Waited till he finally pitched down and clucked at 'em twice. He cutt me off with a double gobble and came 75 yards fast out to the end of the lead I was on. I was just off the nose around 30 steps. Fog was set in thick and kept me from being able to fully see him at 31-32 steps :x Could hear him walking in "wet" leaves and hear him drumming hard, but could absolutely not make 'em out to kill 'em. Gobbled hard twice at that distance before drifting down off my left side. Googans finally had figured it out and began there barrage of never ending yelping and crow calling as they climbed up towards me. Turkey had went silent, as both he and I could hear these a$$hats coming from a mile away. Two of them, about 200 yards straight across from each other, coming up the nose behind me, trying to out yelp each other :) I climbed out the way I had come in, careful not to spoke the Gobbler anymore. Stuck around high above them for a while to see if he would crank back up, but he never did.

Setterman

Lol at cowhunter. I had googans this morning as wheel. Riding 4 wheelers stopping every 100 yards and doing this sequence. Crow, owl, yelp over and over. Googans call more in one hour than I do in a season.

cowhunter71

Yessir, the famous big "three". Crow, owl, 27 consecutive yelps, followed by a single cluck, ride or walk a hundred yards, and repeat :super: Makes them real easy to keep track of, which is a good thing :)

ZachMarkus

cowhunter71":nalsb2b1 said:
Yessir, the famous big "three". Crow, owl, 27 consecutive yelps, followed by a single cluck, ride or walk a hundred yards, and repeat :super: Makes them real easy to keep track of, which is a good thing :)

I don't get that kind of entertainment on public land around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LanceS4803

I checked the weather for Lincoln Co on Sunday morning.
Going to be 29 degrees, feeling like 24 degrees.

Debating whether to dig out all the cold weather gear, again. But reading your guy's comments, I'm inclined to say No.

Latest posts