D-Bomb (Missile Baits)/Beaver Plastics

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I'm kind of excited to try some of these (specifically the "Baby D-Bomb"). Picked up 2 packs at Real Deal Tackle in Dayton, yesterday. Michael Neal was casually eating lunch there with the owner, which was kind of cool.

But back to the (Baby) D-Bomb: I'm thinking of throwing it on 14lb fluoro with a 1/4" weight (bullet but maybe also try a basic casting sinker to get more suspension); might bump it up to 1/2". Need to buy some 3/8oz bullets.

Anyway, talk to me about this style of bait ("beaver").

NumberOne

I throw a beaver style bait quite a bit from Spring time to late summer. I have thrown the D-bomb quite a bit but I MUCH prefer the reaction innovation sweet beaver to the D bomb. It gets bit a lot more for me. Some people swear by the D bomb but the sweet beaver is one of my favorite baits. Its the only bait I flip bushes with on KY lake. Its perfect for that. Rig it on a straight shank flipping hook 4/0. A little trick is to hook it through the side of the bait instead of the center of it. Hooking it this way will make it guide and spin like more like a tube. Flipping bushes I always go 1/2 ounce. When flipping docks or laydowns I usually go down to a 3/8 or 1/4 ounce.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Its the only bait I flip bushes with on KY lake. Its perfect for that. Rig it on a straight shank flipping hook 4/0. A little trick is to hook it through the side of the bait instead of the center of it. Hooking it this way will make it guide and spin like more like a tube. Flipping bushes I always go 1/2 ounce. When flipping docks or laydowns I usually go down to a 3/8 or 1/4 ounce.

I know KY Lake doesn't have as much grass as once it did, but anything you do differently fishing it in/around grass than laydowns/brushpiles? On Chickamauga and Nickajack the grass is as prominent if not more so as the brush and laydowns in the late Summer —> Fall.

TNReb

Use your imagination. You can fish the beaver about any way you want.

Jig trailer
Texas rigged flipping with any size weight
Texas rigged down rocks/bluffs with heavier weights

I seem to have better luck with the Rage Bug.. then the Sweet Beaver.. then the D-Bomb. Probably just a confidence thing.

NumberOne

I know KY Lake doesn't have as much grass as once it did, but anything you do differently fishing it in/around grass than laydowns/brushpiles? On Chickamauga and Nickajack the grass is as prominent if not more so as the brush and laydowns in the late Summer —> Fall.
Unfortunately KY lake is the dead sea when it comes to grass. With that said, I fish it in bushes because it doesn't have any appendages so it goes up and over limbs very easily. Same thing would apply to grass. Its will go in and out of grass a lot cleaner than say a bait like a bushhawg that has all kinds of appendages.

How would I fish it in grass? Would depend if you are just flipping isolated grass patches or punching. If its punching, I don't think the bait matters as much because its more a reaction bite IMO but I am not an expert on punching. Most I hear about punching is picking a bait that comes through the grass the easiest to be the most efficient you can be. The the sweet beaver is about as streamlined as you will find.

Flipping isolated grass clumps. Two ways to approach it IMO. Go with a heavier weight like 1/2 to 5/8 to get a faster fall/reaction bite. Go lighter and get more of that tube action I mentioned in the original post.

I think the beaver gets bites because of its profile more than anything. Its a do nothing bait besides on the fall with light weights. It will twirl like a tube to some extent. Its amazing to me how many bites you get just dragging the thing on the bottom with no action coming from the bait. They are also very durable. Much tougher plastic than a D-bomb.

Enough talk about beavers and bushes haha Gonna catch all kinds of jokes with that combo.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
You need to make a trip over to Soddy and visit the Hog Farmer Bait company. It's almost hidden off of Thrasher Pike right off hwy 27. They have all kinds in there and whatever you need.

Somehow I had no clue they're based in Soddy…now I'm curious.

I know they partnered with Missile to make the Spunk Shad, which has become a popular "pintail"-style bait that people put on chatterbaits. But other than that and Alabama rigs, I don't know what all they make.