Skipping Docks with Stick Baits

String Music

What's everyone's spinning set up? I use a 6'8" medium extra fast and have been using braid to CXX leader. I'm thinking about go to straight braid to help lesson break-offs.

I've experimented with several hooks and haven't landed on one I'm in love with. I've used o-rings and Rapalas sleeves (my preference). I've found bigger hooks are better to keep the worm from wrapping around the hook and on the hook point. My favorite hook so far is the VMC neko hook. I haven't had much success with any wacky hook.

NumberOne

I am not sure it would really matter but straight braid around docks doesn't sound great imo More metal and rock around docks which eats braid up compared to flouro. I'd go to a 12 flouro leader. Maybe even 15. 15 is a little heavy on spinning gear but in this application I don't think it would affect the performance at all. Bait would fall slower with the larger diameter 15 pound test. That could be good or bad on how you like the fish.

I use 15 pound braid to a 12 pound flouro leader on a 7'0 medium spinning rod. If it get really gnarly under docks than I am picking up a flipping stick.

I am with you on the wacky rig hooks. I don't like them at all. Its all in my head though. Never bent one out or really lost fish on them but they look so small.

String Music

I am not sure it would really matter but straight braid around docks doesn't sound great imo More metal and rock around docks which eats braid up compared to flouro. I'd go to a 12 flouro leader. Maybe even 15. 15 is a little heavy on spinning gear but in this application I don't think it would affect the performance at all. Bait would fall slower with the larger diameter 15 pound test. That could be good or bad on how you like the fish.

I use 15 pound braid to a 12 pound flouro leader on a 7'0 medium spinning rod. If it get really gnarly under docks than I am picking up a flipping stick.

I am with you on the wacky rig hooks. I don't like them at all. Its all in my head though. Never bent one out or really lost fish on them but they look so small.
I've broke several off with flouro and have lost confidence in it. I've only gone up to 10lb flouro, though. I've had really good luck with CXX ultra-strong as a leader but finally broke a 5lber off yesterday after getting wrapped around a piling. That's the first one I've broke off with that leader. I may just need to accept there's ganna be fish that break off.

I wish thinking with straight braid I'd get better hook penetration with a heavier hook and then be able to horse the fish out better.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I've broke several off with flouro and have lost confidence in it. I've only gone up to 10lb flouro, though. I've had really good luck with CXX ultra-strong as a leader but finally broke a 5lber off yesterday after getting wrapped around a piling. That's the first one I've broke off with that leader. I may just need to accept there's ganna be fish that break off.

I wish thinking with straight braid I'd get better hook penetration with a heavier hook and then be able to horse the fish out better.
Back a couple years ago I kept breaking my flouro on the hookset, I was using 10# test.
I decided I liked it enough to try something heavier.
Started to go to 12# but decided to try 15# seagar red label.
Zero issues since then.
The diameter isn't that much difference.

KDR21

Seaguar Tatsu 12 lb- it's the fall with a weightless senko. I guess I'm confused you're breaking the fish off on a spinning set up? How tight is your drag?

String Music

Seaguar Tatsu 12 lb- it's the fall with a weightless senko. I guess I'm confused you're breaking the fish off on a spinning set up? How tight is your drag?
Yes, I'm using spinning gear. Honestly, I've been please overall with the CXX ultra-strong. I broke the one fish off (looked to be a 5lber) because he got tangled in a wooden post. He broke my leader about halfway. My connection knot and hook knot were not the issue.

I'm going to bump up to 12lb CXX and see what happens. This was the only fish I've lost on 10lb so I'm trying not to overreact too much.

However, I do believe the hooks I've tried have cost me fish. I've had issues with the senko getting stuck on the hook point when skipping. This issue doesn't happen in open water.

Latest posts