Coyotes and Deer Hunting

Archery_Research

So I have a question for everyone which I'm sure has been debated in the past. As we all know, deer are wise enough to be wary of coyotes for good reason ... This morning I was sitting on a food plot that averages around 60 pics of deer per week, occurring daily - morning and evening. After about 45 mins of daylight there were no deer to be seen but this guy popped out on the edge of the field as if he was just observing. He looked around and then tried to trot back close to where he came from ...

I immediately dropped him in the corner of the field and without wanting to walk across the field and end my chances at any deer, I let him lie until around 10:30. I hunted the evening with absolutely no luck from noon til dark after taking the coyote to camp. My questions for the experts are as follows:

Was his presence while checking out this field in the early a.m. keeping deer away? Did the sight and smell of a dead coyote keep deer away the rest of the day? If so, how long do you believe it will be until the alert of a possible coyote presence is gone? Facing a solid rain most of tonight and heading to the same stand tomorrow regardless. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 22E8E624-460F-489F-BC76-50371236CE9D.jpeg
    22E8E624-460F-489F-BC76-50371236CE9D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101

Archery_Research

Thanks, CB. Yeah, I think that was my initial thought as I am a firm believer in "it just not happening some days" no matter how good a certain stand may seem.

DeerCamp

Does will definitely avoid coyote scent. I think it's deeply programmed. I have thrown a coyote carcass in one part of the field before, and watch them avoid that entire side of the field for a few days.

Mature bucks probably just see it as an annoyance, but considering the impact on doe sightings it may affect your buck movement too.

It is an unusual for them to come across coyotes in their day-to-day travel so I would think that if you got the coyote out of there movement should be back to normal soon maybe even tomorrow

Jcalder

I've had coyotes and deer in my food plots at hours of the night. A deer will leave in the presence of a coyote but it won't ruin the spot. In October I was bow hunting my food plot. Watching deer feed when they blew and took off. Here comes a coyote around the tree line. Wasn't long and I had a field full again. I've killed a yote in the plot and had deer come in. They all live in the same environment.

Monk74

Shot one last year at daylight. An hour later doe's walked right up to it. Sniffing and stomping. Then just went about their business. Killed a nice buck a couple hours later within 85 yards. It wouldn't stop me from hunting that stand.

SteveJ

Last Saturday, opening of gun, I had 3 does feeding around me. As they started to head off, I noticed they were acting bothered about something but they never winded me. As they ran off I noticed a big coyote get after them for a few seconds and then wonder off.

This past Tuesday there was another coyote that slipped in on me at the same spot and was sneaking in on a small doe feeding nearby. She took off and I killed him. I left him lay just outside of the thicket he came from and just 50 yards from the stand because he was a bloody mess. The next day, on Wednesday I saw deer go right by where he lay and shot an 8 pt 10 yards from where the coyote was.

So I would say deer are aware of them but I don't think they would avoid an area all day just because of a coyote being in the area that morning.

SwampChicken

I've got a camera that I run in the backyard just for fun and I was averaging 30-40 pics of bucks and does every day for 30 days straight. I know for a fact that I had 6-8 does using my pt h of woods as a bedding area. Then I had two coyotes start showing up each night for the last 7 or so days and I'm only seeing 1-2 deer frequenting the area which are young bucks. The does and the mature bucks seem to have disappeared.

megalomaniac

Excess human pressure on the plot is affecting your sightings more than a live or dead coyote.

Don't get me wrong, a live coyote will alert deer, but as long as they are away from him (50y or more) the deer will act normal and travel and feed in normal patterns. If they coyote gets within their comfort bubble, the deer will head for cover.

A dead coyote will not affect deer movement. Yes, they will smell it, but do not view it as a threat.

backyardtndeer

Been a few times I have shot a yote and left it, then next day shot a deer that walked right past the dead yote. Think one time killed a yote then later the same morning killed a deer. Have also had deer stop and blow at a dead yote then walk on past.

JArender

without a doubt they run deer away. I was getting several photos a day of deer then three to four coyotes started running around and deer numbers went way down. I shot two and shot at a third and since only have had one yote photo but deer are starting to use the plots again.
My opinion is I plant screens and leave bedding around my plots for deer to feel safe. I may as well kill all predators to assist in them feeling safe too.

JArender

meant to add.... the day I shot these two was around 830 am. that afternoon I hunted another plot and watched a doe walk a bedding line cut, right up ti where I had drug these up to load in atv. She stopped with her nose in the air for 10 mins then stiff legged her way to where they had been laying and sniffed the ground for a few mins and entered through screen to food plott so I don't think the smell keeps them away if they don't see them but the smell puts them on high alert for sure.

Attachments

• 150EB682-7698-488E-B5AA-E29F82D6F207.jpeg
    150EB682-7698-488E-B5AA-E29F82D6F207.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 54

backyardtndeer

without a doubt they run deer away. I was getting several photos a day of deer then three to four coyotes started running around and deer numbers went way down. I shot two and shot at a third and since only have had one yote photo but deer are starting to use the plots again.
These yotes here run the deer trails heavy this time of year. Think a lot depends on if they pass and don't chase and if they chase deer down in packs. Have seen several interactions over the years with deer and yotes in a field at the same time. If they run off and a single yote scares a deer away without giving a lengthy chase, the deer are not going far, but if yotes or even feral dogs get after them in a pack of 3 or more and run them, they may avoid the area if they know the dogs are around. I have seen luls in camera activity for 24 to 48 hours with upticks in yote activity, but then also seen does and yotes in same frames on camera and within just hours deer were right back. Will never forget one morning watching a doe that had obviously been running a long time that had given a domestic dog the slip. She stopped right behind my ladder stand, stand is on a little ridge. She had circled around in a drain that had slow running water. She was behind me, the dog in front. The dog kept circling around trying to pick up her scent before ending up going back the same direction it came from. I had heard several dogs barking before the dog came in. Doe just hung tight for a good while and eventually walked away. I am sure under the right circumstances dogs can run deer for long distances, and in others deer can slip away and not go so far.

One of the craziest interactions I ever saw was watching a doe in the late spring come up a hill in my view just a few yards from a yote that was watching her. She kept coming back, the yote would not leave. Went on for probably 5 minutes. I think she had a fawn nearby and was trying to lead the yote away.

Latest posts