Coyotes...advice

Okatoba

I grew up in a time when we didn't have yotes in Tennessee to speak of and I hate them with a passion. I have less than zero respect for them and kill every one I see if I can be it with a gun, a truck or what ever. I know I have screwed up some hunts for my self in doing so but I don't care. We've had them chase our feist dogs when squirrel hunting and had a buddy blow one's head off with a 20 ga at 10 feet cause the yote was so focused on catching that dog. Every one that comes in sight of me in the woods is in mortal danger and the THUMP-THUMP I put on a yote pup on the road a few years ago was most satisfying. If I could snap my fingers and every one of them east of the rocky mountains was instantly dead I'd do it.

X-Tennessean

They seem excessive in my bottom this year as well for some reason. I have killed 5 in the last two weeks deer hunting, usually average 2-3 at most during daylight hours in a season. Not sure what is going on this year. I would say trapping is the only true method to controlling them and a commitment to the job.

I have a friend in Mo who is a full time trapper, he does really well and is committed to the sport. He has been hired by some big time farm managers. I set him up with a guy who hired Grant Woods to come in and analyze his farm for wildlife habitat deer/ducks. That was the first thing out of his mouth was do you have any predator control in process ? He suggested him start a program first and foremost before worrying about plots, herd management etc etc.
He hired my friend and the last time I talked to him, he had caught 18 bobcats, nearly 40 yotes and countless coons, skunks etc etc. This is on around 900 acres of mix timber and row crop with some crp ground as well.

I'm curious to see how the numbers compare to last year at the end of this season.

Clint.C

Previous repies are exactly right.
No one can tell you how many you have on 500 or any acreage because it varies ALOT with different times of the year.
Yes, we do Predator and Beaver control for a living and we do see success stories all the time on our clients properties. However this comes from intensive campaigns, ideally 3 times a year but you work with the time you have.
Don't get discouraged, you will have ups and downs while trapping but stick with it. I assure you that if the coyotes are impacting your deer and you remove a good % of the population, you will see results.
Best of luck in your trapping!!

Trapping, trapping and more trapping.
I live in SE TN but hunt mostly in SW GA. Lots of yotes and hogs that mess with deer.
GON (Georgia Outdoor News) has focussed a lot lately on coyotes. They report from "both sides" of the controversy. One side says that no matter what you do, you can't affect the numbers. The other says that you can reduce their numbers, significantly. The general consensus seems to be that you can have a significant reduction in coyotes with hunting and trapping but trapping is key. It's not easy to do well and professional trappers are good at what they do. Relative to the expense of owning a large hunting property, they really aren't that expensive.
I've read a lot about it and talked to guys that have seen success, but real success can only be achieved through a professional trapping program.
I hear coyotes sound off most evenings in GA when I hunt and does/fawn number seem to be down :-(
In Hamilton county, TN this fall I shot a doe, watched her fall 100 yards away. Got to her less than 2 hours after shooting. (shot at 8:00 am). When I got to her a couple pounds of meat had been neatly removed from her shoulder. They used the tear from my broad head to start their fiest. I suspect only one coyote or she would have been really torn up.

Clint.C

Very true about bounties.

They simlply don't work for site specific deer management. For someone to make money on bounties - they have to remove the first and easy to kill coyotes then move on, resulting in a very low per square mile coyote kill. This does little to no good for deer. The other problems have already been mentioned. The bounty will never reach a dollar amount that it would take to make someone stay on the property long enough to hurt that local coyote population.

TheRealSpurhunter

Justin, you and I need to learn how to kill them, and swap back and forth going a few weekends this year. Im covered up as well.
my issues with traps is having to check them every 24 hours, thats out of the questions working M-F and being 2 hours from the lease. My only real solution is calling them in.

Latest posts