First Time Land Owner Advice

godores

Hey Everyone,

I was hoping to get all of your advice, since my two buddies and I have decided to buy a piece of land in Maury County. It is only 50ish acres, but considering I am young and just started hunting a few years ago, I figured it is a great place to start. It is surrounded by farmland, the duck river, and plenty of woods. It has a nice year-round creek on the property but no standing water and no real fields. The land is 95% timber and relatively hilly.

What is the best advice you've got for me related to owning the land and developing habitat for deer? Lessons you may have learned? Projects you would prioritize early? I realize I won't be able to impact the local herd, but I hope to create a nice little piece of land to contribute to the local environment. I only plan to take a 5-6 deer a year off of the land.

I appreciate any advice y'all can offer! I've got a lot to learn and I'm hoping I can minimize the number of huge mistakes I make early.

Thanks

Boll Weevil

Maybe not the best advice but definitely the FIRST advice; post it and get to know your neighbors. Congratulations and enjoy the journey as a landowner!

landman

Mark the property lines
meet all your neighbors and exchange phone numbers

then decide what are you wanting to do with it, just Hunt?
or use it year round, it will effect your deer hunting outcome IMO

if you want to shoot, ride atv's, have cook outs and family gatherings thats fine and great times, but it can and will effect your hunting
on a tract that small, but if your just looking to kill a deer or any deer it can be fine too

You say its all woods look for trails, rubs and scraps Now, also any Oak trees
walk the lines looking at entry trails too and any previous hunters sign

Pick you out a spot for a mineral station too

Enjoy

Lands the One think you can't buy at Wal Mart and they Ain't making any more of it

Oh you said you got it with someone? You really need some type of agreement
Dead, Divorce, Medical Bills, Etc causes many divisions a buy/sell agreement is good

treefarmer

I'm not sure you will be able to take 5-6 deer per year off the land unless there are a lot of deer there. Since the population may be 25 per 640 acres (sq. mi.) your property's share is about two deer. That means your property needs to be a deer magnet. Since the property is hilly you probably won't be turning it into a massive food source. Consider logging to set the forest back into early successional habitat that will provide the cover deer seek. You are entering a business agreement so plan what to do when someone wants to leave the club. From my personal family experience it is better to own land by yourself because of the problems created by joint owners. Maury is expensive so if it isn't too late you could consider a county further away and get twice the land or more for the money.

Mike Belt

Is that 5 or 6 deer a total to come off of it or your share? If everyone plans on taking a few deer apiece you may be out of luck. I guess any way you can purchase land at all is better than not having any, but good luck with keeping your friends.

PickettSFHunter

Three buddies buying 50 acres? If I'm reading that right, I would definitely caution against that. Partnerships in land rarely go well. It can turn good friends into enemies. If you all hunt, that would be seriously cramped for room.

Huntnbubba

Even though you're a Vandy fan I'll still help out.

I bought about 50 acres of land in Maury County last year and needed the same advice you're asking for. My property was 100% timber when I bought it. About half of it was open hardwood timber (mostly oaks and hickory) and the other half was rocky/cedars/small trees (but not really a thicket, fairly sparse). It is surrounded on all sides by over 1000 acres similar to mine. The nearest agriculture fields are about 3/4 of a mile away. There is a small pond on my property and there is a big creek about 1/2 mile away.
I got a lot of advice on here as well as from reading/watching stuff online. Here are some of the highlights from different people:
• Your Stihl saw will become your best friend but create the overall plan before cutting trees. Learn to identify the trees on your property and invite your Area Forester with the TN Div. of Forestry to give you a free visit to make recommendations on how to manage your forest. Let him know what you want in the way of wildlife or timber etc. If you have areas with a half-acre of junk forest consider cutting most all the trees to create clear-cuts which will provide valuable cover and more food than a food plot. Cover is king for deer.
• TWRA also has biologists that will help you put a plan together.
• You'll gain tons of native browse and cover created by cutting trees like beech, hickories, elm, sassafras, maple, poplar, ash, locust and a few other undesirables. Cut them in 2-3 acre patches and get back and stay out. The biggest bucks in the area will live there as long as you stay out of it. There will be an abundance of food and cover. The remaining mast bearing trees will be given more room and increase their production. If you run across a real nice timber tree for the future by all means save it if you want a pretty tree there. If it's a straight poplar you can climb next to 4 chinquapins, by all means save that tree. Them beech trees gotta go on my place. The ones I save are the middle aged ones. All the little ones get the axe and so do the huge ones, unhealthy looking ones and the ones near trails that we drive on.
• It is almost miraculous how the under growth / under story and regeneration explodes. It's like it's been pent up for decades and all of the sudden you give it a little sunlight and it breaks out of prison full bore with a fury. I'll say I wasted about 3 out of 9 years focusing on food plots when I should have been in habitat creation mode.
• On a small property, you need to be different than your neighbours. You have to have something that the deer know they can come to you and get. You need to figure out what that is. It's probably the need for great cover and native browse. If you're the thickest and safest place around the deer will figure that out. But maybe you have more white oaks or persimmons than anyone in the area so you need to exploit that. Maybe there isn't any fruit trees close by so you need to plant an orchard. Maybe there are no food plots or agricultural fields around so you could draw them in that way.

After 2 months of getting advice, walking my property over and over, and reading every article I could find, I finally put together my plan. I had a logger come out and select cut the timer for me. He took out the hickory, ash, maple, etc. larger than 14" above the stump and a few of the largest red oaks. None of the white oaks were cut (except a few that were in the way of the new roads and landing area).
I used some of the money I made from the logging to pay a dozer man to come out and create two foods plots (about 3 acres total), an area to plant an orchard, and shape up the new roads. The extra money also more than covered other expenses like gates, a new box blind, lime, fertilizer, taxes, fruit trees, etc.

The logger and dozer guys I hired did a great job. They are both big hunters as well so they could appreciate what my goals are for the property. It's amazing how different the farm looks now...tons of light can now reach the ground so the native browse has started popping up everywhere. I just got my soil test back for my new food plots so I can give them exactly what they need for my fall plantings. This project has been a blast so far. I find myself thinking about it all the time...what should I plant, where should I plant, where should my stands be located??? Let me know if you have any questions.

Florida Cracker 971

Fifty acres, with three buddies & you plan on taking 5-6 deer per season for yourself. Good luck, I foresee trouble in the future for ya'll. I would suggest the first season basically being a observing season to take inventory, I would also suggest that each person is only allowed 1 deer either sex until ya'll can figure out what the area & surrounding area's are like. GOOD LUCK!

diamond hunter

I know if you take a chainsaw to 50 acres in 2 acre patches you can kill a bunch of deer cause all your neighbors deer will use it.Personally,Id pick 25 acres and cut the crap out of everything but oaks and persimmons and big money trees and stay the crap out of there and hunt the outside of it.

PillsburyDoughboy

diamond hunter":1fpxt8gp said:
I know if you take a chainsaw to 50 acres in 2 acre patches you can kill a bunch of deer cause all your neighbors deer will use it.Personally,Id pick 25 acres and cut the crap out of everything but oaks and persimmons and big money trees and stay the crap out of there and hunt the outside of it.
Rome was not built in a day. Slow and steady is sort of the answer to building a dream farm. My parcel is 6O acres and its taken me almost 18 years of hard work to get it where I want it.

Something along this lines.

First you want to thin out the Beech trees. Leave some for cover. Deer like cover. I also like to leave pines and cedars. They are not worth much but deer love to rub them and bed under them. The needles provide both a soft bedding area, warmth and dryness for the deer.

Leave a good section of your parcel as a sanctuary for deer untouched. The thicker area and more grown up area that you cannot hunt the better. The deer will use this for bedding and cover. If that is 25 acres that's about perfect. Leave that area untouched and try and not hunt it and try and not go in it. Leave it for LATE season if anything. Like for when you have over hunted your other areas or when you are not seeing any action towards the late season. This can be a very productive hunting area late DEC.

The if you got 25 acres left over do as indicated above. Clean it up. Thin it out and let some light in so you can get some undergrowth in and some new forest floor growing. The deer will have new browse to nibble on in years to come and the stuff you cut down will will give the deer some cover and shade. Deer love tree tops. It will let the existing trees grow and mature more rapidly.

Since you say you don't have any fields ,,you may consider renting a dozier or hiring a dozier to create a small 5 acre field. That is about all you need on a 50 acre track. If that is not in the budget you can set up a couple of feeders to start building traffic. Just be sure to pull them out before the season starts.

As for scouting trail cameras are great. IF you cannot afford them just read the land. Doe trails are the easiest way to quickly learn travel routes. There should be evidence of old rubs. This should give you some idea of travel routes as well.

Chances are there is evidence of old tree stands on your property. Good chance someone knew something about that property before you got it. If so that might be a good place to "start" ....Its no guarantee. He might have been a dumb bunny but I have generally found them to be a good starting point.

Good luck.

PillsburyDoughboy

I left out the most important part.

Nothing is going to replace spending time in the woods and hunting the property over YEARS. You can do all the scouting, trail cameras and recon you want but end the end its learning and patterning your deer behaviour on your property year end and year out. And those travel patterns, bedding patterns and feeding patterns will change slightly or majorly from year to year. After a couple of years you should have a pretty good handle on your property and have a good idea of what to expect during which season.

Just enjoy what you have now..build on what you have now! and gain more down the road. Best advice I can leave you with.

Latest posts