Coyotes?

DoubleRidge

I'm posting this question on the QDM page because I can imagine the answers I'd get on the general page. (Kill'em all!...lay them dogs down....blast away.....lol)

Question pertains to managing coyotes...so here goes:

Can we actually help our fawn survival rates by killing coyotes? Some of the materials I've read lead me to believe it's difficult to impact coyote numbers enough to truly have an impact due to the way they repopulate. And my work schedule would never allow me to run a trap line.

So is it even worth shooting one here and one there....fun to shoot I know....but I'm talking about from a QDM standpoint.

Or....as land managers should we focus on improving fawning habitat...making it more difficult for coyotes to find and kill fawn's..... improving fawning habitat seems like a more realistic goal verses killing enough yotes to make an impact.

Curious to get others opinions on the topic....what's worked....what hasnt.....and just to be clear....I'm not in anyway against shooting yotes.....I'm just wondering if it truly has a positive impact to fawning rates?

JCDEERMAN

From what I have heard and read, you can't make that much of an impact unless you are trapping and hunting them religiously - same as what you said.

But to me, if you kill a handful throughout the year, logic tells me that those are still carnivore stomachs that aren't seeking food. If that means one more fawn that survives a year, I would deem that a success.

I would lean more into improving the habitat for fawn survival success rates....and when you do that, you are benefiting all prey species - turkeys, song birds, pollinators, quail and pheasants (where they still thrive), etc...

DoubleRidge - I know you have these same thoughts, but just posting for others. I hope all land managers take steps to improve their habitat and they realize the importance of it.

DoubleRidge

Thanks for the reply....your comments confirm what I've been thinking....and you make a great point in that habitat improvements benifit not only fawn survival rates but a variety of other wildlife.....and that's certainly a good thing.

Planking

I know you said you didn't have time for it but I haven't trapped in a few years and I have coyotes everywhere and had almost no fawns this year. I will go to the trouble this time around and I know the trail cam pics/scat of coyotes and bobcats will be reduced or eliminated and i feel confident that I will have more fawns late summer.

DoubleRidge

No doubt running multiple traps or a trap line can be effective (and fun) it's just my work schedule wouldn't allow me to run traps daily.....so I'm going to try to improve fawning habitat and go from there....and given the opportunity I'll shoot a few too! Good luck running the traps! Hope your successful!

JCDEERMAN

This was written by Dr. Grant Woods on his GrowingDeer site while answering a question someone had about predator control working or not....Also, notice the studies he references, if that peaks anyone's interest.

Coyotes certainly can respond to better habitat (more prey and less pressure) by producing more pups. Many species respond to improved habitat by having a higher recruitment rate. However, to blanketly say that fawn recruitment can't be increased by reducing the number of predators isn't true. There are many published and unpublished examples where the reduction of coyotes has resulted in significant increases in fawn survival. You may search for and read Benson et al. that was published 30+ years ago in Texas based on research at the Weller Wildlife Research area. More recently check out VanGilder et al (2009). They reported 100+% increase in fawn recruitment due to removing coyotes.

Just as importantly researchers from the University of Georgia recently reported that deer are extremely stressed by coyote activity even if when deer aren't harmed by the coyotes. No doubt deer populations can benefit from removing coyotes.

JCDEERMAN

Here's another one of his replies to a different question....

Many folks view predators as harmless or only killing weak or sick prey species. This is most likely based on Disney and other fictional works. It is absolutely not true.

When predator populations increase to levels where prey species can't reproduce fast enough to replenish themselves or meet overall management goals then the predator populations should be reduced. Current research in multiple states have shown predators (primarily coyotes) killing 70% +- of all newborn fawns. 70%!

Deer populations decline rapidly when fawn recruitment is reduced by 70%.

Researchers place GPS transmitters in a doe's viginia before the rut. When the fawn is born it pushes the transmitter out and the change in temperature triggers a signal change that alerts researchers to exactly when and where fawns are born. Most fawns are killed by coyotes within the first four hours. Researchers swab the site and use traces of blood and hair to do genetic testing and determine the species, gender, and individual identification of the predator. This is cutting edge research and when first published researchers were shocked at the percentage of fawns killed within four hours of birth by coyotes in some areas. You won't hear about this on Disney.

I always stress "managing for a balance." Where predator populations are far below what prey populations can handle I'm for limiting predator harvest or protecting them.

Working for a balance is good conservation. Preservation is rarely good conservation. Currently wolves in northern Minnesota are contributing to a significant reduction of moose in that area. Both wolves and moose are protected. Without intervention from mankind it's very likely the moose in that area will go extinct within the foreseeable future. What a shame that preservationists will allow their unfounded beliefs to cause a majestic species to go extinct.

Mankind has significantly altered the habitat. Without active management many populations of both predators and prey will be reduced greatly. Active management is very sound conservation.

If your wife refuses to accept facts and views predators based solely on emotions, no amount of data will change her mind.

Enjoy creation

JCDEERMAN

Also adding this one, because I love the comment the Director in VA Game Dept made....

If you enjoy trapping and predator hunting then you should continue!! There's many recent research projects that show focused efforts to balance predator and prey species populations producing great results! Depending on the intensity of your efforts, you may or may not significantly reduce the number of predators where you hunt. However, as the director of Virginia's game department said recently "I've never seen a dead coyote eat a fawn."

There are many factors that influence coyote and other predators' reproductive rates. "Casual" hunters/trappers should not be discouraged!

DoubleRidge

Well....I'll admit both of the above articles are very compelling......the GPS tracking study is very interesting...and I too really like the director of Virginia's comment.....zero doubt a dead coyote isn't eating fawn's!! My focus will continue to be on habitat improvements because of the multiple benifits ....but the information in both of these articles certainly motivates me to shoot yotes when the opportunity presents itself....great read...thanks!

DoubleRidge

docpoco":1rhfcdu9 said:
I was told by someone that generally knows their stuff, is that the biggest bang for the buck is to really aggressively trap/shoot right before fawning season. It will boost fawn survival directly without worrying about other coyotes moving in or increased pup litters, and doing this every year will have a compounding effect.

Hitting them hard right before fawning season makes sense....good point.