Coyote Trapping???

TN Larry

So my Dad is wanting to try to trap some coyotes. We know very little about trapping.

Any advise on how to and what to do? Any recommended source for a beginner either to read or from youtube?

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
Snares have by far been my cheapest most effective traps for coyotes. I set fences and bait. Find a dead deer or get meat scraps from local processor. Dump them in a grown up field or thicket. Coyotes will make trails coming to the dump site. Set snares back every 20 yards or so on the trails for a hundred yards or so back from the site . Several good YouTube videos on snaring. I've learned a lot from the trial and error method

wildlifefarmer

All advice is solid. I am however cautious when using snares. Domestic dogs do run some of the same trails. Most tame dogs that are use to a leash will sit and wait for someone unless they are tangled in the fence.

TN Song Dog

The MB 550 traps are strong and need no adjusting out of the box. That's a good starter setup with chain stakes already attached and includes the stake driver and other basics. You should be fine just degreasing the traps and setting them your first season, if in a hurry. You can clean them back up, dye, and wax for the 2nd season.

Watch youtube to learn basics of dirt hole set, and then learn how to find good set locations on your property. The kit also has some lures or bait that should work, though you can use a lot of different stuff like chicken scraps, bacon grease, etc. You can even experiment with letting the chicken scraps spoil a bit to give them a different scent appeal. Lots of things will work, but you have to pick the right location first. They won't wonder off their path a lot, so find/know where they will already be cruising and then make a set they will pass right by. They follow their same routes as they cruise through their territory.

hammer33

Great advice. MB550s with thick jaws work great.
Bait and lures are overhyped in my opinion. If you are off location, the best bait/lure won't draw them in. If you are on location, a simple hole in the ground, pee post, or hollow log will get them working your set with no bait or lure needed. The bait/lure is to help close the deal by getting them to work your set and hopefully put their foot on the pan.

Ive caught yotes on : no bait/lure, castor, my pee, fox pee, bacon grease, venison scraps, half a taco, dead mouse, roadkill squirrel, road kill black bird, cow carcass, Pee post. dead chickens, fish heads, cat food, basically anything "food like" I can stuff in a hole, hollow log, under some hay....

My best set by far..... small pile of firewood/logs on the side of farm road with a hollow log piece at the center. Stuff almost anything in that hollow log, put a handfull of grass in there and put your 550 10" in front of the hole. Coyotes just can't help themselves and have to see what is in that hollow log. I leave it set all year long but only bait it during trapping season. Still catch yotes all year.

squirrel_hunter

Dont overlook duke 550's. But i caught more coyotes in brigder or duke # 2 dogless or dog on. Offset 4 coil. I run 3 dz duke #3 offset set 4 coil. On public land. Fixing to base plate them and laminate the jaws. My goto trap is a duke or bridger square jaw #2 offset 4 coil modified trap. Either dogless or dog on. Learn to use dirt hole set . Also a Flat set and blind sets too. The pipe dream set works good too. Take some beaver meat. Let it set in the sun for 3 or 4 days. When it starts turning green. Now u have some good bait. I use a cordless drill. With a 26 inch auger about 2 or 3 inches wide. Make sure to run the hole as deep as u can get it. There is where to put the beaver meat. A coyote will work that hole until he gets caught. I use coyote pee and a call lure around the hole. When it gets later in the yr. I will goto a gland lure. Coyote bobcat and fox gland lure will work. I trapped this one hunting club this passed yr. I took 28 coyotes off it. I pulled my traps about a month before turkey season came in. I may go back after turkey season goes out. Too take a few more off it. I use alot of drags. So coyotes wont blow the set up too much. I use alot of drags on public land. So the coyote can get out of site. Most of my flat sets i use a t bone in it. Has a hole to put your bait. Also eye appeal too. Make the flat set look like the serounding area. Make it look like there isnt a trap there. I usally put in a flat set and dirt hole at each stop. If there is alot of coyote sign. If i make a catch sometimes i will put in a new set in the area. Sometimes u will get a catch circle shy yote. Another idea asked around see what bait other people are using. So go with something different. Like alot of people will use mb brand bait. Or Dunlap's bait. Go with something totally different like a horse base bait. The old wolfers talked about using horse meat bait. Arkansas trapping season comes in same day as gun deer season. I trap most of the time. From fall to spring i am out everyday. Don't overlook snares. If u catch a dog 99% of the dogs will just set there caught. If i can help u anyway let me know. I get too talking about trapping and wont shut up. This is a flat set. It has a t bone back in the grass. Coyote cant work it from the back. Natural blocking coyote only has one way to work the set.
20211231_092011.jpg

Last edited:

squirrel_hunter

This is one of my dirt hole sets. It did have a big clump of grass for a backing. But the first coyote destroyed it. So i went with the wood. That hole is 24 inchs deep. Used coyote pee on top. Coyote gland lure in the hole. Alot of times i used just peat moss to bed and cover trap. Dirt was too wet too use. If u dont have any thing for a backing. Go dig up a big clump of grass. And transplant it there. I have too do that if i make very many catchs in one place.
20211231_092003.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts