Coyote/Bobcat Pelts and Calling em in

TylerB

Dad and I are really looking to blast some yotes and kittys on the lease after deer season. My question to you is what can you do with the pelts, i.e. is the fur market still moving in this area? Also, we have a foxpro 2, does anyone have any other recommendations for any other calls?

Thanks

pass-thru

Learn to put up the pelts (skin, flesh, stretch). Then you can sell to local fur buyer, sell at state auctions, ship to a buyer, or ship to international auctions. It's not just about the money but also taking in pride in putting up fur. Some people get them all tanned and keep them for themselves.

spitndrum

TylerB said:
How much does a coyote pelt fetch these days?, and I'm assuming color/condition is a huge factor.

Its all about if there put up right too to determine how much an individual is going to get out of em, Otters are the highest this year if I'm not mistaken?

Also check when the fur sale is coming to a area near you up on the plateau its generally early feburary just a heads up might be around memphis earlier???

WTM

i agree with pass-thru, even if you dont kill enough to really make any money, you'll learn a dying skill. you might make enough on cats to pay for the materials to put up fur.

if you blow a hole in them you can sew them up and maybe the buyer wont notice. like infoman said you gotta have CITES tags and i would get the tags before i head to the auction. dont depend on the game wardens to be at all the auctions.

fur prices maybe looking up this year, with demand on red fox, coyote, beaver and otter. better prices for the HEAVY western and eastern section goods. it all depends on what the chinese and russians want to buy and what they have in inventory. last year coyote brought anywhere from 7-10 bucks from our area, and cats anywhere from 15-50 bucks. good luck.

redblood

TylerB said:
How much does a coyote pelt fetch these days?, and I'm assuming color/condition is a huge factor.

prime midwestern dogs with good color can fetch a decent amount but a southern dog isnt worth skinning. i guarantee. i give all mine to my taxidermist

jakeway

I ran a trapline and was a coon hunter for many years when younger, but I haven't done that since I went to college. One day my son and I shot three 'yotes while deer hunting, and I skinned them all. Then I found out the selling price of them, and it's just not worth it for me.

I shot a really nice looking coyote the day after Thanksgiving (there's a thread with pics on it way at the beginning of this forum) and my son took it to a taxidermist in Gallatin that skinned it and had it tanned for $75. I wouldn't pay much more than that, but it's nice to have a hide or two hanging around for atmosphere.

Wildcat

spitndrum said:
redblood said:
spitndrum said:
Primos Lil Dog

Affordable
Successfull

the problem with primos calls is the same with the preymaster and the fox pro. every weekend warrior has one and these dogs have heard them all before

I could see that, never thought of it that way good point!

You think that's bad? At LBL all these "weekend warriors" drive around and use those same calls FROM THEIR TRUCKS all day long. It doesn't take but a few days and all the "young" coyotes are EDUCATED fast like the old ones already are. It's really a shame since LBL could be a perfect place to really hunt them.

Chris Tripp

jakeway said:
I ran a trapline and was a coon hunter for many years when younger, but I haven't done that since I went to college. One day my son and I shot three 'yotes while deer hunting, and I skinned them all. Then I found out the selling price of them, and it's just not worth it for me.

I shot a really nice looking coyote the day after Thanksgiving (there's a thread with pics on it way at the beginning of this forum) and my son took it to a taxidermist in Gallatin that skinned it and had it tanned for $75. I wouldn't pay much more than that, but it's nice to have a hide or two hanging around for atmosphere.

I have found that ebay moves them at higher prices.

JA1234

just a hair or two north of the [censored] hole
InfoMan said:
Remember bobcats and river otters must be tagged to sell. Contact your TWRA regional office about tags.

I thought Bobcats only had to be tagged if to be shipped outside of the US and I thought all River otters had to be tagged when harvested regardless of being sold or not. Just Curious seems I get different info on these two critters more then any other I deal with.
is there more information dealing with them then found on the link below.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/smallgamehunt.html

"*Bobcat pelts must be tagged with Tennessee U.S. CITES tags in order to be exported from the U. S. Contact your TWRA regional office for instructions.

**Exceptions to the statewide fox season are:

* Benton - unlawful to take or kill red foxes
* Dyer, Lauderdale, Smith, and Wilson - open year round to hunting and trapping red and gray foxes
* Greene and Washington - unlawful to take or kill red and gray foxes

***All river otters harvested must be tagged by harvester with Tennessee U.S. CITES tags. Contact your TWRA regional office for instructions."

MRUTVOL

Chris Tripp said:
jakeway said:

I have found that ebay moves them at higher prices.

Also www.taxidermy.net is a good place to sell them if they are well furred. Look in the For Sale section. The average southern yote might bring you $40 but you have to be able to skin it correctly and ship it out to them. Skinning a yote can be a pain. If it is a unique coloration such as a black yote then it will bring much better money. I have seen them go for well over $200 but on the average $125 to $150. As for bobcats if it is average color about $100 but if well spotted $150 or more is possible depending on who is buying it. Fur market sales will not make a yote worth even selling...I just cut the tails off and save them rest goes to the buzzards or whatever else will eat one. Been hunting them for almost 30 years and if I had kept the tails of all I killed I would have a shed full!