Cool old deer stand

huvrman

Saw a ladder stand hoisted into a tree with the legs straddling a limb 15 feet up. So, the seat height was at least 30 feet. They had used cotton picker spindles nailed into the 5 foot diameter oak trunk to get to the first limb. Then a shimmy up to the next, where you tightroped out to the ladder. Then you swung around the base of the ladder to get to the outside and climbed on up. The tree was so wide that you were essentially spread eagled on the tree as you climbed up Those spindles.

BSK

Built this one on a thursday and killed a deer with a bow out of it in saturday
I've got a bunch of permanent stands built on exactly that pattern on my place (in various states of disrepair). Some I built the first few years I owned the property, but most were already there when I bought it. Killed quite a few deer out them too. Someone knew their deer hunting locations when they built them.

Tom Collins

My old man would cut a 2x10 in half and then cut v's on both ends and a put a hinge in the middle. He'd then find a twin trunk tree and wedge it in between the trunks. He use old lineman spikes to climb up to it.