Cooking with Bourbon

tonybart55

So I've been trying out bourbon in some of my cooking lately and I've got a Maple Bourbon BBQ Glaze that I found online and it's awesome!!
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup Bourbon
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Ketchup
4 teaspoons of favorite BBQ Rub
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Man it's so dang good!! Sweet, sticky, finger licking good!!

Anyone else got any recipes they wanna share that uses bourbon or some other type of alcohol?

tonybart55

I make Bourbon vanilla. Any decent bourbon and a bunch of vanilla beans. Soak the beans for 6 months, the longer the better.
Awesome for baking.
Oh man!! I bet that would make some killer Vanilla Bean Ice Cream too!! What do you soak them in, mason jars or something? And where do you store them, anywhere or does it have to be somewhere specific?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Love it in pecan pie. Still figuring out how much is the right amount, though.

Also used to make a savory blueberry and blackberry sauce to go with venison tenderloin, and it had bourbon. I think I got the recipe for the sauce from here; it was fantastic:

Snowwolfe

Oh man!! I bet that would make some killer Vanilla Bean Ice Cream too!! What do you soak them in, mason jars or something? And where do you store them, anywhere or does it have to be somewhere specific?
I use a wide mouth 1 quart mason jar and store it on a shelf in the pantry. Very easy and simple to make. Bought the beans on eBay. Web search will give you some suggestions on how to do it.

tonybart55

Love it in pecan pie. Still figuring out how much is the right amount, though.

Also used to make a savory blueberry and blackberry sauce to go with venison tenderloin, and it had bourbon. I think I got the recipe for the sauce from here; it was fantastic:
Man I'm always looking for new recipes for venison, and I'm a sucker for sweet fruit jams and sauces, thanks for sharing that 👍🏽

I made a Bourbon cream sauce to go on some backstraps a few weeks ago.
-Pan fried up some bacon
-Sautéed up some mushrooms in the bacon grease
- deglazed the pan with some Bourbon
- let the alcohol cook off, then added butter, heavy cream, brown sugar, maple syrup, then the bacon(chopped) and the mushrooms. Let it simmer down and thicken up till the sauce was basically half of what it was, then poured it over the venison.

I don't know how much of everything I added, i eyeballed everything 😂 but it was good!! And you can do the same thing with some cheap Red Wine, I've done both and both are awesome!!

Can't wait to try the Black and Blue Bourbon sauce! And it's got the ingredient amounts lol so it'll be the same every time 😂

Thelonegoose

Man I'm always looking for new recipes for venison, and I'm a sucker for sweet fruit jams and sauces, thanks for sharing that 👍🏽

I made a Bourbon cream sauce to go on some backstraps a few weeks ago.
-Pan fried up some bacon
-Sautéed up some mushrooms in the bacon grease
- deglazed the pan with some Bourbon
- let the alcohol cook off, then added butter, heavy cream, brown sugar, maple syrup, then the bacon(chopped) and the mushrooms. Let it simmer down and thicken up till the sauce was basically half of what it was, then poured it over the venison.

I don't know how much of everything I added, i eyeballed everything 😂 but it was good!! And you can do the same thing with some cheap Red Wine, I've done both and both are awesome!!

Can't wait to try the Black and Blue Bourbon sauce! And it's got the ingredient amounts lol so it'll be the same every time 😂
I have got two backstraps in the freezer. I will be trying this in the next couple of weeks.

tonybart55

I have got two backstraps in the freezer. I will be trying this in the next couple of weeks.
You won't regret it! Idk how much of a difference it'll make, but I've read that you don't want to use cheap bourbon, cheap wine is ok to cook with, but apparently cheap bourbon can ruin the taste of the food/sauce? What Ive read said to use a middle priced bourbon, some thing Jim Beam or Evan Williams, you can always use more expensive stuff, but I think it's diminishing returns after the middle priced stuff. And if you want to use a whiskey like Jack Daniels or something then that's a good alternative too. I hope that helps👍🏽

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I make Bourbon vanilla. Any decent bourbon and a bunch of vanilla beans. Soak the beans for 6 months, the longer the better.
Awesome for baking.
Never made it with Bourbon but will need to try that next time. Wife usually uses Vodka.

Another thing I do is dry up the beans and grind them after the vanilla is gone and put them in my coffee grounds for some awesome flavored coffee.

Latest posts