Conservation programs for woodlands?

Chaneylake

question, i live in an all hardwood area, no pines. i know that pine trees are a quicker return on the dollar, looking at the long term picture, when we are all dead and gone, will pines as they mature be the best habitat for all the wildlife?

trealtree

chaneylake... imho would be no. pines do not provide much if any wildlife food. I would plant persimmons and oaks. But of course there is alot more to it than that you must have a continued program of thinning and clear cutting to provide the most benefit.

Chaneylake

i agree with the oaks, etc. at chaney lake the primary goal is mature hardwood timber. it has been in my family for over 3 generations and the property has always been managed properly and select cut. only harvesting the trees above 20-22" except for isolated reasons, beaver damage, etc. the hunting side is a fringe benefit to this piece of property, basically providing a small amount of income to improve roads, bridges, etc. being an all hardwood area i, my father, and my grandfather deceased, accept that this piece of property will only produce income about every 20-25 years depending upon growth of timber and current market conditions. it is wonderful to watch the hardwoods grow and mature

8 POINTS OR BETTER

I to agree that pine trees do not make the best habitat for wildlife, but the land I'm planning on planting in pine is land I just purchased that was already clear-cut. I also joins the family farm that has been in my family for three generations. I will probably plant some sawtooth oaks inside the pines and maybe a foodplot.

Chaneylake

what happens if you leave clear-cut alone for 20 years and not plant pines. i am asking to learn. living in an area where pines basically do not exist, referring to acres of them, people here even when they overharvest, or cut trees before they are mature, still leave the property alone and let nature continue with the process. we are somewhat lucky though we have a lot of fertile soil except in the southeastern part of haywood county

8 POINTS OR BETTER

chaneylake said:
what happens if you leave clear-cut alone for 20 years and not plant pines. i am asking to learn. living in an area where pines basically do not exist, referring to acres of them, people here even when they overharvest, or cut trees before they are mature, still leave the property alone and let nature continue with the process. we are somewhat lucky though we have a lot of fertile soil except in the southeastern part of haywood county

Chaney,
Were I live it looks like it will take 75 to 100 years for a clear cut to have marketable timber on it, and then I think most of it will be low grade. I've been watching some that is 30 years old and it mostly has popular and maple (most 8" dia or less), when it was cut is was mostly oak, hickory, and popular. IMO the best way to manage hardwood timber for future generations is to select cut 20" or better ,12" from the ground. That way you can cut it every 20 to 25 years.

birddoginQ

The propblem with only select cutting is that you can promote the growth of shade tolerant species such as maple, that hang out under the mature canopy waiting for release. This may explain the situation described above with a residual stand of maple and poplar. Poplar, though not shade tolerant, is a prolifict sprouter and depends on a massive seed bank to reproduce. Select harvests can work great if done right and managed afterwards, but can also lead to forests types like the above mention example. Hardwood can reach marketable maturity in 60-70 years. Thats just marketable though, not the 20" trees others have spoken of.

Chaneylake

in bottom land, in west tn area, the maple and poplar just do not survive, areas that do not flood are a different story though. hatchie river bottom land, select cut timber management, will be ready to harvest every 20-25 years, on low side of market bringing $300,000.00 on 200 acres +/- to a high side of $750.000.00 on 200 acres +/- 60% oak is necessary for the above to exist. you have to consider current market and weather. drought years alway drive market down. good growning timber in our area, west tn can grow at a rate of 5-7% per year in non drought conditions.

Latest posts