Food Plots Complete food plot rookie... Need advice

G_Man

Currently hunting this spot as I type this... But I'm just getting into qdma and such and I'm wanting to put a food plot out. I'm reading on here and elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask and get help. Dense hardwood around but I'm thinking about seeding this strip with rye and/or wheat. Any advice or suggestions would be a huge help!

20130929_152807_zpsf5ba0327.jpg

pass-thru

If that's the best spot you have to work with, I'd get in there with a chain saw and clear back the trees along the edges. You'll be dealing with a lot of shade and then leaf debris.

tellico4x4

You've got a big challenge ahead of you if you are wanting to do something this year. Probably within 30 days of first frost, soil will probably be very acidic due to leaves and you have limited light from shade.

I suggest getting rid of debris, break up dirt, hit it with 4-5 bags of pellatized lime and then use one of the "throw & grow" seed blends that is mostly tetraploid rye grass. A lot of folks will tell you not to use rye grass of any kind, but tetraploid has a higher sugar content and is more palatable for deer. It grows fast and will grow just about anywhere. I have used it before with pretty good results. Good news is that according to Weather Channel long range forecast, October looks to be mild, and with all the moisture currently in ground, you might have a chance.

As pass-thru said, you need to open up the canopy to let more sun in. If you are wanting to plant now, I'd get it in ground and really open it up in Feb.

Boone 58

What Tellico said.........I love wheat and white clover in this situation.......lime it heavey. sow it even if if produces less than spectacular results this year, and it will improve yearly!

G_Man

Think pops sold the tiller for the tractor, so i'll see if i can get a neighbor to let me borrow one....thanks for yalls input. I'm gonna see how this goes, and see if my neighbor will let me work his land some. He has some thats wide open, a much better situation than this set up.

Latest posts